position for a Black scholar in Historical, Theoretical, and Critical Studies of Psychology, York University, Toronto

Alexandra Rutherford

Oct 25, 2021, 5:13:18 PM10/25/21
to Cheiron, es...@googlegroups.com, fhhs-a...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I am writing to draw your attention to a job search currently underway in the Department of Psychology at York University in Toronto. We are looking to recruit a Black scholar to join our Historical, Theoretical, and Critical Studies of Psychology area.

As you can see from the ad, we conceive of this position quite broadly. The hire will be housed in the Psychology Department, with a primary affiliation with our area which includes researchers active in the history, theory, and philosophy of the human sciences along with a new emphasis on participatory, community-based research in psychology and critical qualitative inquiry.

Please forward this email to any suitable candidates. As a member of the recruitment committee, I am happy to answer questions from yourself or any interested applicants. Dr. Mike Pettit is chairing this committee and can also be contacted at mpe...@yorku.ca

Thank you - Alexandra Rutherford

Alexandra Rutherford PhD CPsych.  (she/her pronouns)
Professor, Dept. of Psychology, York University
4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Faculty members in the Historical, Theoretical, and Critical Studies of Psychology at York University stand in solidarity with the current protests against anti-Blackness, systemic racism, and police brutality. We are committed to examining and changing our own practices in light of psychology's historic and current role in perpetuating anti-black racism and racist science. We are working to ensure that the HTC program curriculum (course syllabi, reading lists, etc.), at both undergraduate and graduate levels, incorporates anti-racist and decolonial scholarship and critically interrogates the racist and colonial foundations on which institutional Psychology is based. As a small start, we are building bibliographies of relevant history of psychology literature that can be drawn on to facilitate these goals. A draft of the first bibliography, on race and racism in the history of psychology, is available here. Work on these resources is ongoing. We welcome suggestions.

York University acknowledges its presence on the traditional territory of many Indigenous Nations. The area known as Tkaronto has been taken care of by the Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Wendat, and the Métis. It is now home to many Indigenous peoples. We acknowledge the current treaty holders and the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation. This territory is subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement to peaceably share and care for the Great Lakes region.