Restoring Wundt’s House

Christopher Green

Jun 4, 2024, 10:02:00 AMJun 4
to Cheiron, Society for the History of Psychology List SHP, Andreas Jüttemann
Dear Colleagues,

Our friend and colleague, Andreas Jüttemann of the Brandenburg Medical School, has asked me to distribute the message below, concerning his project to restore Wilhelm Wundt’s summer home, in Großbothen (a few miles outside of Leipzig). Please consider contributing!

- Chris Green

P.S. Andreas will be remotely presenting at Cheiron next week. Also, I will be personally visiting the Wundthaus in July, thanks to Andreas’ kind assistance, and I will be posting photos for those who are interested.

Begin forwarded message:

Dear members,

The Wilhelm Wundt House in Großbothen, Saxony, was saved from decay in 2017 thanks to the courageous rescue purchase by a conservationist. The elaborate safeguarding and restoration work was started with substantial monument grants. However, the pandemic and the development of construction prices in the wake of the Ukraine war have led to a considerable increase in construction costs and a large gap in financing - despite further funding from the state of Saxony last year. Much has already been completed (roof, ceilings, see attached photos). Funds are currently still lacking for the completion of the first construction phase (and the “own funds” required to apply for further funding). The interior work and the restoration of the two-storey loggia, known as “the café house”, where Wundt used to retreat to write and receive guests such as Nobel Prize winner Wilhelm Ostwald, will then follow in a further construction phase.

The villa, built in 1904, was the retreat and last home of the famous psychologist, philosopher and physiologist Wilhelm Wundt (1832-1920), professor at the University of Leipzig and founder of the world's first “Institute for Experimental Psychology”. With the help of further donations, it would be possible to quickly continue and complete the construction work to preserve this special building. The possibility and the great goal of using it in whole or in part as a memorial and research facility (with a scholarship holder's apartment, library and conference rooms) under the management of a public institution or charitable foundation would thus come within reach. We appreciate every donation, regardless of the amount, and thank you very much for your commitment.

Medizinische Hochschule Brandenburg
IBAN: DE 44 1605 0202 1001 0390 80
BIC: WELADE10PR
Bank: Sparkasse Ostprignitz-Ruppin (Germany)
Purpose “Wilhelm-Wundt-Haus”

To obtain a donation receipt (Brandenburg Medical School is a non-profit organization), please contact me at andreas.j...@mhb-fontane.de, stating your postal address details. PayPal is also possible.

Many thanks and best regards
Andreas Jüttemann