Alexander Freud

Christopher Green

Jan 29, 2024, 1:24:59 PMJan 29
to Cheiron, Society for the History of Psychology List SHP
O Mighty Historians of Psychology!

One of Sigmund Freud's brothers, Alexander Freud, immigrated with his family to Canada in 1940 (after having escaped the Anschluss for Switzerland in 1938). Alexander died in Toronto in 1943. His son, Harry, would immigrate to the US sometime later.

I have been able to find no information, however, on why Alexander chose Canada or where in Toronto the family lived. Or, when and why Harry moved to the US and where he lived there.

If any of you have information on this, or leads about where I could find information on it (short of personally examining the Freud family collection at the LoC), I would love to hear from you!

Thank you!
Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology