Cheiron Reception, Breakfasts and Lunches

Larry Stern

May 15, 2023, 1:07:17 PM5/15/23
to cheiro...@googlegroups.com, shp-li...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

[1] Although we typically have a banquet at the meetings - at attendees' expense - the cost at Fordham - we must use their food services - was rather high (even by NY standards). The quote we received from Fordham was in the vicinity of $12K which, if the cost was to be borne by attendees, would be roughly $200@person. Given the cost of travel and lodging, we thought this was too excessive for those planning on attending. We looked into having Cheiron subsidize a part of the cost, but given "other" expenses - i.e., facility fees, snacks between sessions - it simply wasn't feasible. What we decided, instead, was to have a somewhat up-scale reception on Friday from 5pm to 7pm that would be cost free to attendees (excluding drinks).

[2] We will be providing snacks between sessions - but not either breakfast or lunch. There are two venues on Fordham's campus. Both the Community Dining Hall and the Ram Cafe serve breakfast and lunch - at attendees' expense. The Community Dining Hall is open Monday through Friday 7:30am - 7:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 7:00pm, while the Ram Cafe is open Monday through Friday from 8am - 2pm.

There are also, within a stone's throw from the conference center, more food venues - Starbucks, open air cafes, bagels, street vendors - than I can possibly list at the moment.

I will be posting information concerning food/meals - as well as a "Things To Do List - on the Cheiron website in a day or two.

Best wishes,

Larry Stern

Executive Officer, Cheiron
Professor of Sociology