Published new API-based project, Checkvist Personal Kanban

Rebecca O'Connell

Sep 15, 2014, 12:11:01 AM9/15/14
to checkv...@googlegroups.com
I just published a Javascript-based HTML document to Github. It that generates a personal Kanban list using a tagged or labeled version of your Checkvist task list. In Personal Kanban, the objectives are to visualize your work and limit your actions in progress. More information about Personal Kanban can be found here (http://www.personalkanban.com/pk/personal-kanban-101/).

This page is designed to allow you visualize your current workflow, and to see only the items that are part of your immediate workflow. The page displays three side-by-side lists:
  • The "Next" list, or items that you plan to do after you complete the items you are currently working on
  • The "Doing" list, items that you are currently working on
  • The "Done" list, items that you completed within the next month, and that were labeled with the "Doing" label
I would appreciate it if anyone who gets a chance would take a look and see if the setup process makes sense, and/or if any bugs appear when you use it.

Thank you,
Rebecca

Alex Kapranoff

Sep 15, 2014, 2:08:00 AM9/15/14
to checkv...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Rebecca!

I don't seem to find the actual HTML document. Github repo contains only README and LICENSE.

--
Alex Kapranoff.

Rebecca O'Connell

Sep 15, 2014, 2:21:47 AM9/15/14
to checkv...@googlegroups.com
Well, that definitely qualifies as a bug. It's posted now. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Alex Kapranoff

Sep 16, 2014, 2:52:33 AM9/16/14
to checkv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rebecca.

Works for me :)

The setup process could be easier by using a list tag to find the list to work with. E.g., the first list tagged "#kanban".

I was also a little confused about which items end up in the "Done" column. I would probably just fill the "Next" with all open items, the "Done" -- with all closed and use the tag for the "Doing" column only. But then again, I have never used Personal Kanban and should just go and read about it more.

Thanks again!

--
Alex Kapranoff.

Rebecca O'Connell

Sep 16, 2014, 12:39:28 PM9/16/14
to checkv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking a look at it, Alex.

Your suggested approach to the Done and Next columns is actually probably more consistent with the version of personal Kanban typically implemented using sticky notes (!). I hesitated to do it that way because, at least for my setup, the next and done lists would both be huge, and for me personally this is about having a filtered view of my tasks-in-progress. I could make that an option, but I would first need the functionality to set options, so that's something for future versions.

I could also use the list tag that you suggested to generate a dropdown list of lists that use it, and then the user could choose from it.
Rebecca