Week 2 progress report

Aditya Singh

Jun 5, 2020, 11:45:59 AM6/5/20
to checker-framework-gsoc
Hi everyone!

This is my progress report from 29th May 2020 to 4th June 2020.

This week, I decided to come up with some ideas regarding the tainting checker about how to increase its applicability, make it more user customizable, decrease its generalizing tendencies, and work on its other limitations. Some ideas include addition of a string argument, @Untainted checker hierarchy and enabling @Tainting checker classification into different categories (like @SQLquery, @OSCommand, etc). I also worked on creating a plan for the summer (link below), including various objectives and the estimated time of their completion.

I did a case study on the java.util.Stream library with the Aliasing checker. I temporarily added an .astub file to annotate the Stream objects as @Unique by default. Afterwards, I used several programs utilizing the Stream library and utilized the Aliasing checker. I looked for potential bugs or any unexpected outputs in my test runs. Till now, I haven't encountered any such errors and the behaviour to Stream objects is similar to that of other class object types. I will continue to search for any potential issues I can find.

I also received a change request from Dr. Ernst on my 3313 leak in constructor error fix pull request, regarding my addition of a stub file, and am currently working on that issue.

Regards,
Aditya Singh

Werner Dietl

Jun 5, 2020, 7:32:26 PM6/5/20
to Aditya Singh, checker-framework-gsoc
Hi Aditya,

thanks for the summary.

Could you also include a summary of the discussions we had in our
meeting on Thursday, about how you will update the Tainting Checker
proposal?

Regarding the java.util.Stream test case: it is good to hear that
normal code works as expected.
You should also try to recreate the problems outlined in the
blog-posted linked from
https://github.com/typetools/checker-framework/issues/3313#issuecomment-630424814
https://www.baeldung.com/java-stream-operated-upon-or-closed-exception

Does adding @Unique to the Stream class prevent these errors? Do you