20V supply Voltage (imaxB6 original)

Tomasz Tded

Mar 7, 2024, 4:57:59 AMMar 7
to cheali-charger
Hey, can i request from You build witch small modyfication?

I want to power up imaxB6 original, by laptop power brick, if it burn i will fix it.
Hardware more less is compatible witch 20V,  i want to check rest ;)

Maybe i coult change the software by my own and compile it, but i dont know what software environment is that and how to add project.

Can I ask for help, I will be grateful, best regards!

Roberto Garcia

Mar 7, 2024, 9:15:40 AMMar 7
to Tomasz Tded, cheali-charger
/
/

Well... IMAXB6 came up to 18 volts.

According to this link...

With some modification on input mosfet , you can increase input voltage, running a zener diode there.

Now, on the other side, the programming thing is complex, very complex.

/

diggit

Mar 7, 2024, 3:01:32 PMMar 7
to cheali-charger
Careful there!
Input reverse polarity protection is not the only limiting component.

Gates of buck/boost transistors are also driven between Vin/GND and usually +- 20V is the absolute maximum fog Vgs.

Regarding the FW - I am not aware of any input voltage limit, if there is one, it's not that complex to change and recompile.

Roberto Garcia

Mar 7, 2024, 4:50:11 PMMar 7
to diggit, cheali-charger
/
/

Well, IMHO, that buck converter handle up to 6S... So, I may say that IMAXB6 can handle up to 25 volts.

Now, from my point of  view , looking for that HEX files,  it is not easy for a mortal like me, to understand that sort of numbers, without a flowchart or something.

But, for those experience "eyes" , I know that could be a piece of cake.

What should we do to modify that IMAXB6?
For a mortal like me, I don't know.

I have some experience repairing those chargers and of course, it is not enough.

Do I want to know more?...yes for sure...

/

Tomasz Tded

Mar 8, 2024, 2:33:04 AMMar 8
to cheali-charger

On the software side, there is no protection against excessively high supply voltage.
I thought protection was like in the original software but it was apparently removed.

Yes, it's true, Vgss MAX on the anti reverse polarity transistor is +-20V, I currently have about 19.55V, so it's very close and I think that a zener diode for safety and maybe a slight change in the parameters of voltage divider on gate side would make it possible to protect transistors.

So far everything is working fine, if something gets damaged I will inform you, for now I don't trust the charger and I'm trying not to burn my house.

Regards