Photographer's Rights

Matt Dunmore

Mar 18, 2008, 8:21:33 PM3/18/08
to Chattanooga Photography
I just posted this on my blog but thought it might be of interest here
as well.

I get asked periodically about taking pictures of random people and if
it is legal. Then there are the occasional times when I have been
harassed for taking pics of the local <a href="/photoblog/index.php?
showimage=197">J. Jill store</a> and at the <a href="/photoblog/
index.php?showimage=201">airport</a>. So I learned a long time ago, I
needed to know my rights so that when I was confronted I could be
confident that I was in the clear. So here are a couple links to
information about Photographers Rights if you are interested.

photographers/" target="_blank">Ten Legal Commandments or Photography</
a>

And something every street photographer should have a copy of in their
bags at all times...
Photographer's Right</a>

Matt Dunmore

Mar 18, 2008, 8:23:00 PM3/18/08
to Chattanooga Photography
Sorry about the links. Here they are again

Ten Legal Commandments or Photography -
http://photojojo.com/content/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/
The Photographer's Right - http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Tracy Neal

Mar 18, 2008, 9:31:13 PM3/18/08
to chattanooga...@googlegroups.com

It's weird that you send this out today...  I posted this experience on Digital Photography School.. Which is a neat forum that I like...

This is too funny... I just had this experience a few days ago. As I was trying to locate neat sites to take pictures of for the 'Assignment: Construction' I remembered that the local mall was adding some new stores. So I drive over and pull into a cove and with my window rolled down and sat in my truck taking pictures. When I pulled up I had noticed that there was a 'rent a cop' (no offense) car sitting there and I could hear the guys talking, but they weren't visible at that point and I didn't think much about it.

I had just finished reading an online photography lesson that day and was concentrating on the lines and so on trying to get a good frame and snap a picture. After the flash went off I heard, "what was that?" Next thing I know here come the 2 rent-a-cops telling me that I wasn't allowed to take pictures there because the construction outfit who was doing it was concerned about confidentiality and copyrights...

Jeez - I explained what I was doing, and they were very nice to me, but they still made me delete all my pictures... I had taken some pretty cool ones too!

And someone responded back with this link: (http://www.kantor.com/useful/Legal-Rights-of-Photographers.pdf)

I had no idea!

With Warmest Regards,

Tracy Neal

~ The heart has reasons that reason does not understand. ~