charpy.org

Chris Calloway

Jun 26, 2013, 11:44:47 AM6/26/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
When this group first formed, it had a web site at charpy.org. It was a fun project for awhile. But it didn't get much development before it was abandoned.

After it was abandoned, it was cyber-squatted for a few years.

I just noticed that charpy.org was available again. So I grabbed it to protect it. The name charpy matches the URL on this Google group for Charlotte Python. It's a catchy nickname with history.

I will gladly transfer this domain name free of charge to any non-recruiter resident of the Charlotte Metro area who demonstrates that it will be used for bringing Charlotte Python people together through their actions in actually doing that. Just email me offline when you are doing that.

For reference, I'm a former resident of Charlotte and one of the organizers of the Triangle Python Users Groups. I've been to Charpy meetings in the past and am friends with and a TriPython colleague of the original organizer of Charlotte Python, the current chair of PyCarolinas, Calvin Spealman.

Calvin is also interested that someone should renew the Charlotte Python meetup.com subscription. Flaviu, are you out there?

Cheers and Good Luck, Chris Calloway

Lateef Jackson

Jun 27, 2013, 9:02:14 AM6/27/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
The past organizers have moved away and we are looking for someone to take over the meetup.com group. We hope another Django Python fan can take over?
Cheers,
Lateef

Lateef Jackson

Hans Lawrenz

Jun 28, 2013, 4:26:22 PM6/28/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On a bit of a whim I took over the meetup group today since I've been watching the the days count down and thought it would be a shame for it to go away. I hope we can get it moving again. I would love to get any suggestions or advice on doing so.

I can take over the domain if you want.

Regards,
Hans

Calvin Spealman

Jun 29, 2013, 10:27:08 AM6/29/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

Congratulations and good luck!

Do you have space in the area the group used before that you can count on in the future? If not, finding a space you can rely on is your first best move.

Second, in my opinion, find a regular time and stick with it. A schedule people can get used to and predict will help people fit it into their own busy lives.

I'd love to see the group flourish and to see many people from Charlotte attending this year's PyCarolinas!

I'd love to help out in anyway I can, so please don't hesitate to ask.

Francois Dion

Jun 29, 2013, 12:46:45 PM6/29/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps we can trade speakers too. I'm in Winston Salem, and our local group is PYPTUG(piedmont triad). Between TriPython, charpy and PYPTUG we have a pretty decent community in North Carolina. I think there is plenty of opportunity to grow it.

Francois

Chris Calloway

Jul 1, 2013, 2:02:16 PM7/1/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
On 6/28/2013 4:26 PM, Hans Lawrenz wrote:
> On a bit of a whim I took over the meetup group today since I've been
> watching the the days count down and thought it would be a shame for it
> to go away. I hope we can get it moving again. I would love to get any
> suggestions or advice on doing so.

Hans,

Thank you for your initiative.

I agree with Francois. I'd be glad to come give a program or two to help
you get bootstrapped. I've given presentations to CharPy in the past.

Suggestions: Calvin is correct about regular and reliable time and
place. Nothing helps more than continuing to persevere with predictable
meetings no matter how many people show up.

For that, you need real meeting space with laptop project, network,
parking, and unfettered access (people need to be able to come and go
without someone having to let people in a locked door).

There has been success in the past with meeting at CPCC. I suggest you
contact Chris Emery, Director of Web Development at CPCC. He runs one of
the most active Python shops in Charlotte and has access to sweet
meeting space at CPCC:

http://secure.cpcc.edu/webpages/view.asp?edirID=2440

I would suggest the public library. But unlike the Triangle, public
libraries in Charlotte charge high fees for meeting space and most
aren't even open past 7pm. Charlotte/Mecklenburg community centers also
have very high fees. YMCA community rooms, again expensive.

Search UNC-C for people doing Python, contact them, especially staff and
faculty who can reserve rooms, and get them interested in being a part
of a Python user group:

http://search.uncc.edu/website/?q=python

Contact JC Smith computer and information sciences faculty, and explain
to them how hosting a Python user group would benefit their program
(Raspberry Pi, etc). I'd start with Lijuan Cao and Hang Chen because
they look like they might be the most engaged faculty:

http://www.jcsu.edu/academics/cs-is/work_with

This might sound weird, but Ikea has a free community room off their
cafeteria. You might have to bring your own laptop projector. But hey,
built-in food and beverage service:

https://twitter.com/IKEA_Charlotte/status/182521267524612096

And many shopping malls and coffee shops have free community rooms that
often come with services like wifi. Check around by calling mall
business offices. I would suggest Caribou Coffee, but none of the
Charlotte locations have community rooms like they do here.

Churches can often be persuaded to loan meeting space and wifi.

Some Carolinas Medical Center hospitals have free community rooms,
although I don't kno if the downtown location does.

> I can take over the domain if you want.

It's more if you want. All I'm wanting to see is someone hosting meeting
a meeting or two and then I'll be glad to turn it over. The regular
meeting space hurdle is the biggest issue.

When you do have meetings, don't let not having a planned talk hold you
back. Having a pre-announced talk is great for getting lots of people to
come to a meeting. But even just extemporaneous show and tell among the
participants who show up is very much worth it. Meetings are for the
people who show up.

Hack nights are easier as all they require is a large coffee shop with
tables, power outlets, and free wifi.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall phone: (919) 599-3530

Hans Lawrenz

Jul 1, 2013, 2:41:51 PM7/1/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the help. I have no experience at all in this sort of thing and I'm grateful for the advice.

As for the location, I reached out to Packard Place, where a number of the meetings have been held in the past and they are happy to allow us to continue using their space. I've been to a few other meetings there and it seems like a good location. If that doesn't work out, it looks like I have more choices than I realized.

Having regularly scheduled meetings makes sense to me and I shot a message to the co-organizers on meetup to see if they have any input on when. Whatever we decide, I'll try to make sure we're on a different night from tripython and pyptug so it's easier to trade speakers. Chris, it looks like you do the first Tuesday and second Wednesday of the mont? And Francois, do you have a set schedule?

Again, thanks for all the help. I'm excited to get the meetings going.

Regards,
Hans

Chris Calloway

Jul 1, 2013, 3:01:38 PM7/1/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
On 7/1/2013 2:41 PM, Hans Lawrenz wrote:
> Chris,
> it looks like you do the first Tuesday and second Wednesday of the mont?

1st Tuesday project night, 2nd Wednesday project night, and 4th Thursday
monthly meeting. We're trying to get together a 3rd Monday project night
as well bu not there yet.

> Again, thanks for all the help. I'm excited to get the meetings going.

Looking forward to the meeting announcement.

Francois Dion

Jul 1, 2013, 3:34:52 PM7/1/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
For PYPTUG, second saturday of the month is PyHack (on the months we do have a PyHack workshop), last Monday of the month is our monthly meeting, except this month, it'll be the 4th. I dont like changing dates, by I was supposed to be at PyOhio and most everybody was unavailable on the last monday so we changed it to the week before. We are planning Google Hangout and/or project night one of the wednesday, nothing firm, but the main thing is the monthly meeting, which again, is last monday of the month.

Francois
--
www.pyptug.org  -  raspberry-python.blogspot.com  -  @f_dion

Ken I.

Jul 2, 2013, 1:27:31 PM7/2/13
to cha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans:

My name is Ken and I manage all of the development groups for CPCC (Chris Emery is one of my staff members).  Chris is correct, we are completely a python shop (a lot of django and plone).  We would be happy to assist anyway we can and look forward to participating.  If there is a space need or equipment needs, we can help out.  Feel free to reach directly out to chris...@cpcc.edu or myself (ken....@cpcc.edu).  Thanks for being willing to lead!

Ken
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to charpy+un...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/charpy.