Anyone interested in an Advanced KML Training Class?

Sara Woodmansee

Jan 7, 2010, 1:59:49 PM1/7/10
to Charlotte-Metropolitan GIS User Group
Would anyone be interested in an Advanced KML Training class? All I
need is 9 more people in order to secure the teacher.

About the class:

The course is 1/2 Lecture & Examples and 1/2 hands-on exercise.

Each student needs a computer w/ Google Earth.

The 2 day course is entirely KML oriented and assumes the student has
existing ability in PHP, Java, or some other coding language.  The 3
day course starts with a 1 day introduction to PHP and mySQL which I
think are the best places to start if you don't already have a
favorite code language.  Most of my examples in the KML portion are
based on PHP from the script side.

The PHP day covers:

- PHP basics (variables, arrays, functions, ...)
- Manipulating text with PHP (which is essentially how you make KML)
- Using PHP to query data from mySQL (the most common web database and
what we're using on the filmworks project)
- Using PHP to parse MS Excel spreadsheets

The  KML portion covers:

- all aspects of KML elements (geometries, tours, timelines, ...)
- common mistakes and gotchas
- differences between gmaps, gearth api, and gearth client in KML
handling
- realtime KML generation via PHP
- lots of examples from EarthNC work

For the hands-on portion, students are expected to come with some type
of project (and data) that they'd like to accomplish.  They then get
about a day to work singly or together with my full support as needed.

Please contact me if interested!

Sara Woodmansee
sa...@ronchapple.com

Sara Woodmansee

Jan 7, 2010, 2:11:01 PM1/7/10
to Charlotte-Metropolitan GIS User Group
Forgot to mention that the cost would be about $400 per student (for a 3-day class) - for a class of 10 students

More than 10 students would would bring the price down (he will allow up to 30, but 15-20 is optimal).  Basically $4000 divided by the amount of students

Best,
Sara