Free Newspapers

1 view

Charlies Neighborhood News

Dec 20, 2018, 7:40:51 PM12/20/18
to Charlie's Neighborhood News
Council Establishes "Do Not Toss" Newspaper Registry

The Council passed a "Do Not Toss" ordinance to allow New Orleans residents to opt out of having unsolicited newspapers tossed on or around their home. Beginning Jan. 31, 2019, residents can add their name and address to the "Do Not Toss" registry through the City's website, nola.gov, or by calling 3-1-1. Residents on the list may still receive unsolicited printed materials, including newspapers but they are required to be placed on their doorstep, dropped into a mail slot, attached to the door, or hand delivered.

"We've all seen unwanted newspapers littering our sidewalks, neighborhood streets, and homes," said District "C" Councilmember Kristin Palmer. "They can be hazardous to residents and clog our catch basins. Since residents say they're unable to unsubscribe with publishers, this ordinance creates another option, allowing citizens to opt out with the City. We appreciate the newspapers' collaboration on this and welcome their continued lawful delivery since they provide a service to many residents."