Roses in Armstrong Park Soldiering On

Charlies Neighborhood News

Aug 20, 2019, 10:22:53 AM8/20/19
to Charlie's Neighborhood News
Everything’s Coming Up Roses… in Armstrong Park in August
cid:image003.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Madame Carnot – Noisette 1899

The hot summer months are usually not the best time to see roses in New Orleans.

But this year the roses in Armstrong Park have treated us to an August flush, probably caused by the dry June (4 inches of rain) followed by the wet July (11 inches). We never water the roses.

All photos taken August 9, 2019

cid:image008.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Madame Berkeley – Tea 1898

cid:image009.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
General Gallieni – Tea 1899

cid:image011.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Baronne Henriette de Snoy – Tea 1897

cid:image018.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Mrs B.R. Cant – Tea 1901

cid:image026.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Mrs Foley-Hobbs – Tea 1910

cid:image027.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Souvenir de Victor Hugo – Tea 1886

cid:image028.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Paul Nabonnand – Tea 1877

cid:image030.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Rubens – Tea 1859

cid:image032.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Alexander Hill Gray – Tea 1911

cid:image036.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
White Maman Cochet – Tea 1896

cid:image038.jpg@01D54F88.0259BE00
Niles Cochet – Tea 1906

In New Orleans the main fall flush of flowers is usually in mid-November, so in late August or early September we’ll give the roses a light pruning and fertilize with fish emulsion to promote a good bloom.

The Armstrong Park antique rose garden is a project of the New Orleans Old Garden Rose Society.

Since 1992 it has had an agreement with the City of New Orleans to create and maintain the garden.  It is one of the largest public collections in the world of these old roses that do well in warm climates.

Please feel free to share this email.

Leo Watermeier
812 N. Rampart St.
New Orleans, LA 70116