[Bike to the Future] November news

Bike to the Future

Nov 17, 2011, 10:07:22 AM11/17/11
to Bike to the Future announcements
Hello! This is Bike to the Future's November newsletter.

1. 2011 Annual General Meeting & Achievements Celebration
2. Our memberships have changed from annual to lifetime
3. Mountain Equipment Co-op's Club Night
4. University of Manitoba's Sustainability Workshop
5. City of Winnipeg's Transportation Master Plan (our comments)

Kevin Miller
Bike to the Future, Co-Chair
biketothefuture.org
____________________________

2011 Annual General Meeting & Achievements Celebration

All Bike to the Future members and supporters are invited to attend our 2011 Annual General Meeting & Achievements Celebration on Tuesday November 22 from 5:30 to 6:00 at the Sport for Life Centre. Bikes can be parked inside the building in a locked room that is beside the main doors and in direct view of the security desk.

Our November Monthly meeting will commence immediately after the AGM.
(October Monthly Meeting minutes)

A vegetarian meal will be served.
  • At least two nutritionally balanced food choices
  • Desserts
  • Coffee and/or tea and water
Bring your friends!

We'll be selling memberships, accepting donations, and selling T-shirts prior to, during, and after the meeting.

We'd appreciate being contacted if you're coming and will be eating so we know whether to provide food for 25 people or 50 people or 100 people.

AGM Agenda
Board of Directors

It's important that we have a strong and capable Board to ensure that Bike to the Future continues to be guided along our Mission and towards our Vision. If you are interested in serving, would like to nominate someone, or if you'd like more info, please contact us.
____________________________

Our memberships have changed from annual to lifetime

At Bike to the Future's September 2011 Monthly Meeting we decided to change our membership from annual to lifetime. This change is retroactive to our inception in February 2007, so anybody who has ever been a BttF member is now a current member. Anybody who no longer wants to be a BttF member should contact us, and we will remove them from our list. Members are also asked to please
contact us if their contact information has changed.

Reasons for the change

The cost of a lifetime membership will remain the same as it was for an annual membership.

We will continue to try and attract new members, and we will solicit donations to generate additional operating revenue.

BttF membership info
____________________________

Mountain Equipment Co-op's Club Night

Monday November 21 from 7:00 to 9:00 PM at the MEC store (Portage & Donald)

Mountain Equipment Co-op is holding a Club Night for the members of various clubs and organizations that have some kind of relationship with MEC. Bike to the Future members have been invited because of our 2011 Partnership Agreement with MEC that provides funding for a number of BttF initiatives.

BttF's Sponsorship Position Statement

The Club Night offer

We will confirm your BttF membership when you enter the MEC store. (Note that a BttF membership is now a lifetime membership.) If you are not a BttF member, we can sell you a membership at the door.

If you have questions or comments, please contact us.
____________________________

University of Manitoba's Sustainability Workshop

BttF has been invited to send a rep to the University of Manitoba's Sustainability Workshop. It's on Thursday November 24 from 8:45 AM to noon.

Info
  • On that page there are links to info about the Sustainability Workshop and to the Draft Sustainability Strategy (59 pages, pages 14 & 15 are Transportation).
  • From that Draft Sustainability Strategy page, there's a link to a comments/feedback page, which means that anybody can comment on it.
If you are a BttF member and would like to represent us at this workshop, please contact us.

City of Winnipeg's Transportation Master Plan

Thanks to everyone who attended the City's Transportation Master Plan (TMP) Open House on November 2 and/or sent comments about the TMP to the City.

While the TMP report creates a positive impression with lots of mention of active transportation, when we compared the AT section to the other sections, the AT section does not follow through with specifics for building AT routes in the same way that the other sections follow up with plans and capital estimates for routes to be built.

We are asking City councilors to immediately launch a process to finish the planning job, so we need to make the planners understand the pressure to finish the job on AT as thoroughly as they have on roads and trucking.

Bike to the Future's comments

Green Action Centre's comments

Our website at biketothefuture.org is updated often.