Jazz Bands Start This Week

Mike Allen

Oct 26, 2020, 12:05:01 PM10/26/20
to Charger Bands, Charles Neitzel, Kaleb Carter, Kendra Bonam
Dear Parents and Students interested in Jazz:

This week will be our first jazz rehearsals. Third hour’s “Jazz Two” will meet every Tuesday from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. Second hour’s “Jazz One” will meet every Thursday from 4:30 to 6:30PM. The band room is marked off with tape showing 6 feet of distance. Students will remain spread out the entire time they are in the building. Instrument cases will be spread out along the walls at 6 foot intervals as well. This rehearsal schedule will stay the same for first semester.

Students can enter the building through the band doors on the north side of the building. Arrive no earlier than 20 minutes before the start of rehearsal. A director will be at the door for check in and to give out bell covers. To enter the building, go up the stairs and stay spread out in the band room. The stairwell will be one-way traffic only. Enter the building once and do not go back out to your car. So, don't forget anything. To exit the building, students will come down the same stairs. If anyone needs to go against the one-way traffic, they will need to enter and exit through different doors.

Students will be expected to wear masks at all times when they are not playing. Wind players will be supplied bell covers.

Bring anything you will need including water. The bathrooms are finished, but there are no working water fountains or soda machines.

Hybrid Jazz will be offered for both classes. If you do not feel comfortable with coming to rehearsals, you can participate online. We will send a link to join rehearsal from home.

In addition to our one rehearsal per week, we will have an online offering each week. That offering will be any of the following: online guided listening sessions, individual jazz lessons, small group jazz lessons, and any new ideas that come our way!

Section leaders and any students who want to be section leaders should plan to arrive at the front of the line so they can help students get acquainted before rehearsal begins. Remember to keep your distance.

In-person rehearsals are voluntary. Jazz band as well as all band classes will be available online if chosen.

Parents, please do preliminary wellness checks at home before your student comes to jazz band. Any student who does not pass the wellness checks will be asked to go home and will need a doctor's note or a negative covid test to confirm that they are cleared to return to rehearsal.

Students, Staff, anyone at all who plan to be at rehearsal will need to check in at the band doors 20 minutes before the start of rehearsal. Any student who arrives late will not be able to get in the building.

Sincerely,

Michael Allen and Chris Fosnot
Directors, Centennial HS Bands

Michael Allen
Director of Bands
Champaign Centennial High School
President, District 3
Illinois Music Education Association
www.chargerbands.com Sign up to receive text and email announcements.
smile.amazon.com Select Centennial Band and Amazon will support the Boosters.