Band Camp July 18-28 Mon-Thursday, Disney, Six Flags, Registration Fees, Travel Permission, Medical Information, Scheduling Classes

Mike Allen

Jul 7, 2022, 6:39:46 PM7/7/22

H:\Allenmike\Old HardDrive\MyDocuments\band_logo.gif

Dear Band Families,

Happy Summertime, Everyone! I hope you are finding time to catch some sun and recharge! We have alot of new opportunities to look forward to this year! New information in this email will include Disney Information, Six Flags Information, registration information, travel permission, and medical information. In case you did not receive any of the previous information in May, class scheduling options and general information regarding Centennial High School is included. It is my honor to help answer any questions I can. Please call me or text anytime at 618 978 5426. Moving to a new school is exciting and challenging. Students in band get a head start thanks to our summer camp Monday through Thursday, July 18-21 and July 25-28.

The Disney trip is scheduled for March 7-13th. That is the week before Spring Break because we have so many families who plan their vacations over break. Hopefully these dates will not interfere with your family plans. The trip is estimated to cost a maximum of four payments of $250 per student or chaperone. Assuming the total cost of the trip decreases, we would take the decrease off of the final payment to help families with holiday expenses. Fundraised money will also be taken off of the final payments. In order to secure a spot on the trip, we will need a commitment in the form of the first payment of $250 on or by September 16th.

The Six Flags trip is scheduled for Saturday, September 3rd. The cost of this trip including a catered lunch will be $45 per student. These payments will be collected during camp or can be mailed to the school care of Michael Allen. The checks can be written to Centennial Band. Anyone interested in sponsoring other students or donating extra to help more students go on the trips can do so by writing the check for extra and notate in the memo that the extra should go toward general student tickets or for any specific student you would like to sponsor.

The registration for winds and percussion students, registration for colorguard students, medical form, and travel permission forms are attached. These forms can be printed and returned or you can make a copy, fill it out, and send it back to me via email or with your student.

Rehearsals for all students begin on Monday, July 18th at 9:00 AM. You can drop off your student behind the building at the main football field. The small driveway between Centennial and Jefferson will get you to the drop off location. Students will need to wear lightweight athletic clothing and athletic shoes. They will need a string bag to keep their own two bottles of water, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, lyre/flip folder, music, and drill book. Music will be given to students when they arrive. Parts will be assigned based on attendance. If your student will be unable to attend any portion of camp, please just email me so I can save them a spot in the show.

During camp, we will use the building for alternating indoor and outdoor rehearsals. We will take frequent water breaks when we are outside.

Students will need to bring their own lunch or bring money for lunch on their own. We encourage sections to eat lunch together. They will have from 11:30 to 1 for lunch each day. We will rotate sections through to have them try on their full band uniforms starting the first week.

July 18-21 Band Rehearsal  9AM to 3PM Centennial Football Stadium

July 25-28 Band Rehearsal 8AM to 5PM Centennial Football Stadium

July 28th Performance 5PM Centennial Football Stadium

Please forward this information on to other families who may not be on my rosters yet. Families from private schools, from home schools, who are moving in, or who are switching districts may not receive this information.

The following information is from the previous emails that were sent to everyone on my rosters and all 8th grade families via their middle school band directors.

Please call or text me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Michael Allen

Centennial Bands

618 978 5426

alle...@u4sd.org

Dear Band Families:

We are excited about your student becoming a member or continuing with the Charger Band program! Summer and Fall dates are at the bottom of this page. We believe there is a place for each student to be in band, sports, and advanced academics. All full rehearsals are held during school as a class so students are free to be in clubs, sports, and activities.

We have three levels of concert bands, two jazz bands, jazz combos, marching band, and two pep bands. First semester students will meet in marching band during 1st hour. Marching Band excuses students from PE. Students will learn the field show during 1st quarter. Second quarter, the marching band will learn music for basketball games, form jazz bands, have talent shows, and form concert bands.

Beginning Band is an academic option that meets during 1st hour of the second semester. This class allows students to practice  independently, serve as a student leader, or to learn a new band instrument. All students are invited to take this class whether they have been in band or not.

One out of every ten students in the school is in band. Our band is defined by student leadership, respect, and sense of belonging within a huge family.

Attached is a sample schedule of a Centennial senior who was in a music classes all four years and was ranked number one. You will see that the top students at Centennial are involved with fine arts, AP classes, sports, and multiple activities. We always find ways to make schedules work for each student.

Sign up to receive emails, calendars, and upcoming events at www.chargerbands.com

Sincerely,

Michael Allen

Band Director

alle...@u4sd.org

SUMMER/FALL Dates

July 18-21 Band Rehearsal  9AM to 3PM Centennial Football Stadium

July 25-28 Band Rehearsal 8AM to 5PM Centennial Football Stadium

July 28th Performance 5PM Centennial Football Stadium

Aug 27th Band Rehearsal 9AM to Noon Centennial Football Stadium

Sept 2 Home Football Game 5:15 Call Centennial Football Stadium

Sept 3 Six Flags Performance All Day St Louis Six Flags

Sept 9 Home Football Game 5:15 Call Centennial Football Stadium

Sept 17 Monticello Competition TBA Monticello, IL

Sept 24 Home Football Game 2:00PM Centennial FB Stadium

Oct 1 Mt. Zion Competition TBA Mt. Zion, IL

Oct 15 Newton Competition TBA Newton, IL

Oct 17   Awards Concert 7:00PM Centennial Gym

Oct 21 Homecoming Football Game 5:15 Call Centennial Football Stadium

Oct 24 Fall Concert Band Concert 7:00PM Centennial Auditorium

Band Classes at Centennial

Marching Band/Color Guard:

Any student interested in being a part of the Champaign Centennial Marching Chargers should request Marching Band/PE insead of PE first semester. This class fills the PE requirement. The course number to request is 9PEBAF. There is no audition for this band.

Jazz Bands:

Jazz Bands are made up of students who are enrolled in one of the bands and/or orchestra. Jazz Bands start after the start of the Fall semester.

Beginning Band:

Beginning Band is an academic class that meets second semester 1st hour. This class allows students to learn a new band instrument, practice their own instrument independently, and/or serve as a student leader to help others learn to play new instruments. All students are invited to take this class whether they have been in band or not. The course number to request is 562.

Concert Band:

Basic High School level concert band for students developing intermediate skills. There is no audition required for this performing band. All students should sign up for “Band” with your counselors this year. We will give them a list that shows which band each student should be in. We will place students based on their abilities so each student is challenged at an inspiring and attainable level.

Symphonic Band/Wind Symphony:

Advanced level band music for advanced students. An audition based on four lines of the ILMEA scale sheet and at least four lines one of the ILMEA etudes is required for this ensemble. Complete audition information is available from your directors, the band website, and can be requested by emailing alle...@u4sd.org. All students should sign up for “Band” with your counselors this year. We will give them a list that shows which band each student should be in. We will place students based on their abilities so each student is challenged at an inspiring and attainable level.

Proof That Students Can Be In Band and the highest level Academics!

This is an example schedule

Band Classes are Shaded

College level classes are in italics. *Denotes an Honors Level Course Higher Weight for GPA

Freshman Year

AP Prep Biology*

Freshman Comprehensive English - only one level available

Accelerated Geometry*

Concert Band

Human Geo

General PE/Marching Band with jazz, small ensembles, independent projects, talent shows

Spanish II

Sophomore Year

Accelerated Algebra II*

AP Prep Chemistry*

AP Prep Advanced Comp English II*

Concert Band

AP World History*

General PE/Marching Band with jazz, small ensembles, independent projects, talent shows

Spanish III*

Junior Year

Accel Precalculus with Trig*

Accelerated Amer Literature*

AP U.S. History*

AP Prep Physics*

Symphonic Band

General PE/Marching Band with jazz, small ensembles, independent projects, talent shows

Spanish IV*

Senior Year

AP Calculus AB*

AP Physics C: Mechanics*

AP Spanish Language*

AP U.S. Government & Politics*

AP Macroeconomics*

Dual Credit English Composition*

Wind Symphony

General PE/Marching Band with jazz, small ensembles, independent projects, talent shows

First Semester     Second Semester

Freshman Student 1

Spanish II

Spanish II

Concert Band

Concert Band

PE/Marching Band

Health

Lunch/Study Hall

Lunch/Study Hall

Personal Finance

Human Geography

Freshman Comprehensive English

Freshman Comprehensive English

AP Prep Biology

AP Prep Biology

Accelerated Geometry

Accelerated Geometry

Freshman Student 2

Algebra I

Algebra I

Symphonic Band

Symphonic Band

PE/Marching Band

Health

Lunch/Study Hall

Lunch/Study Hall

Freshman Comprehensive English

Freshman Comprehensive English

Biology

Biology

Spanish I

Spanish I

Academic Support

Human Geography

Freshman Student 3

Freshman Comprehensive English

Freshman Comprehensive English

PE/Marching Band

Health

Symphonic Band

Symphonic Band

Lunch/Study Hall

Lunch/Study Hall

Accelerated Geometry

Accelerated Geometry

AP Prep Biology

AP Prep Biology

French II

French II

AP Computer Science

AP Computer Science

Michael Allen
Director of Bands
Champaign Centennial High School
www.chargerbands.com Sign up to receive text and email announcements.
smile.amazon.com Select Centennial Band and Amazon will support the Boosters.

Medical-Info-Form.doc.pdf
Centennial High School Band Registration Form.pdf
Travel Permission Slip 2022.pdf
Centennial High School Color Guard Registration Form.pdf
Summer Letter Centennial Bands Dates and General Information.pdf