Chronicle Article About FOI Demand

Chris Komuves

Nov 22, 2013, 12:47:43 PM11/22/13
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a copy of the article that was in the Chronicle a couple days ago about Bill Jenkins Freedom of Information request for the private email addresses of everyone on the Town Newsletter list?  I’d really like to see what’s been written about that.

Chris

====================================
Christopher S. Komuves  <c...@kom.com>
====================================

Kitty LeShay

Nov 22, 2013, 12:56:25 PM11/22/13
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
The library gets the Chronicle

Does anyone have a copy of the article that was in the Chronicle a couple days ago about Bill Jenkins Freedom of Information request for the private email addresses of everyone on the Town Newsletter list?  I’d really like to see what’s been written about that.

Chris

Jennifer Roberts

Nov 22, 2013, 1:38:05 PM11/22/13
to chapli...@googlegroups.com

Can anyone scan it?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Dec 22, 2013, 11:01:24 AM12/22/13
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
So, I approved this message for posting, though I usually do not for anyone who tries to post anonymously.  Who are you? (I have a suspicion, btw.)

It’s hard to believe you would have actually read the statute you referenced and be able to state that with a straight face.  The statute reads, "Any member of any public agency who fails to comply with an order of the Freedom of Information Commission shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor and each occurrence of failure to comply with such order shall constitute a separate offense."

The problem with that is that I am NOT a member of any public agency (and yes, I checked the definition of that in the statutes just to be certain), so even if the FOI commission were to take the (potentially illegal because it’s out of their scope) step of trying to order me to disclose privately held information, it would not be enforceable, as I would not be breaking any law by ignoring it.  It’s a Google group that I’m the owner of (just like this one), where everyone who signed up was promised that their email addresses would never be disclosed to anyone else.  No member of any public agency has access to the actual list of private email addresses. I am ethically bound to uphold that agreement, which is what I intend to do.

I too am very curious as to what happened at the Dec. 18th hearing.  I’ve not yet heard anything about it.

Chris