"Southwestern Advantage" Door-to-Door Scam

Chris Komuves

Jun 28, 2012, 10:50:34 AM6/28/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com, William H. Rose IV
Please be warned.  There's a college kid from Kansas going door-to-door, trying to con people into buying an educational system scam.  He came to my door a short time ago, and claimed that Penny Boomer (my neighbor) gave him our names as someone who has a small child.  He claimed to be an intern and make several other assertions as well that seemed false to me.  I checked and verified that in fact Penny had NOT given him our information--as I expected, he was lying and just taking names of neighbors from a list he must have (probably taken from public records).  I looked up more information on his company and sure enough, it's a complete scam.

Do NOT provide him with any more information or do business with him.  I will contact Officer Black to let him know about this.  Not sure if there's anything concrete to charge him with.  So far, I can only prove that he is lying, misrepresenting himself, and trying to sell a scam to people.

Here is some more information on this company:

Chris

====================================
Christopher S. Komuves  <c...@kom.com>
====================================

jrom...@yahoo.com

Jun 28, 2012, 11:02:42 AM6/28/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
They were on nollett two weeks ago

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Jun 28, 2012, 12:00:44 PM6/28/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
has trooper black done anything about this yet?
scams are illegal, he can certainly deal with this.
has the selectman's office been notified?
they have a town email list, they could publish
a warning to residents.

pat

Chris Komuves

Jun 28, 2012, 5:54:11 PM6/28/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
I called Trooper Black around 11:00am, spoke with the state police in Danielson who said he was on patrol then and gave me his voicemail.  I left him a detailed voicemail message explaining this.  He left me voicemail later saying that he was aware of this guy but that Southwestern was a real company (which I knew, and is not the issue here).  I left him another voicemail elaborating on this, but am doubtful anything will come of it.

I also emailed Bill Rose and left voicemail for him immediately after that, requesting that he email out my notice about this to the Chaplin newsletter list to alert everyone about it.  I have not yet heard back from him nor has he sent it to the list.

I've done everything I could think of through official channels.  I'm sad that I haven't gotten anywhere with this.  I have a burning hatred for con artists and I really would like to see this one be held accountable for his greed, lies, and tricks as he tries to prey on the naive.

Chris
====================================

Deb Field

Jun 28, 2012, 6:30:04 PM6/28/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com
Having spent the day fixing my elderly mother's hacked email account, I hear you on this Chris :)

--
Deb Field

Nature has always had more force than education – Voltaire

LYNCH, Catherine (Emeritus)

Jun 29, 2012, 2:53:11 PM6/29/12
to chapli...@googlegroups.com

Chris,

I understand that Bill Rose has been on vacation this week. He'll be back by Monday, July 2nd.

Katie