Fw: Next Chaos meeting

Jim Blair

May 31, 2023, 2:43:12 PM5/31/23
to chaos-cs-...@googlegroups.com

From: Peter G. Sobol <pgs...@wisc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 9:54 AM
To: Jim Blair <jeb...@wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Next Chaos meeting

Hello Jim - Clint has set it up so that only he and I can send to the chaos-cs group because msgs to that group go out to over one hundred people. If you want to send to the smaller core group, please send  to

I have made sure that you belong to this group and may post.

pgs

Jun 5, 2023, 3:51:04 PM6/5/23
to 'Jim Blair' via Chaos and Complex Systems Discussion, Peter G. Sobol, CLINT SPROTT, BARRY E DEZONIA
Interesting article.  I suspect that I am the only member of this group who had a college classmate who joined the Benedictine Order.

Am I right?

I knew that was the strictest of the Catholic orders and they spent much of their time being silent. My college was Jesuit, and I knew the Jesuits were the most intellectual of the orders, or so my friends claimed ☺️

There was a Benedictine college in the Kansas City area and we played then in basketball. I even made a "Beat Benie's Boys" banner for the game.

I would like to join this discussion, but I have another commitment and would appreciate it if someone would send me a copy of the minutes if possible.

Jim

Jun 5, 2023, 10:00:28 PM6/5/23
to Jim Blair, 'Jim Blair' via Chaos and Complex Systems Discussion, CLINT SPROTT, BARRY E DEZONIA
I have spent some time with the Benedictines at St. Johns University in Collegeville, MN, which houses the Hill Monastic Manuscript Library. One evening I was allowed to eat with them in their refectory but was warned that they did not speak during meals other than to requests such as "Pass the salt." Turned out that they conversed like most people except sotto voce.