Longevity

Peter Sobol

Apr 25, 2024, 1:55:27 PMApr 25
to Chaos and Complex Systems Discussion
Here's an article in the New Yorker that you should be able to read, about a guy who is enthralled with the idea of longevity and charging exorbitant fees to clients so that he can give them common-sense advice.

Jim Blair

Apr 25, 2024, 11:32:15 PMApr 25
to Chaos and Complex Systems Discussion, Peter G. Sobol
That is the most depressing article I have read in a long time.  Mostly because it is probably true.

Maybe I should look at the bright side.  After I retired at 70 and until 2020 at 85, I have been able to continue my "normal" life: active and happy.  For 15 years I was riding my bike to campus and even teaching sailing for the Hoofers, jumping in and out of sailboats, etc.  Living high off a pension SS, and investments,  and doing much better than was described in that article.

But in 2020,  things began to change and rapidly. I can't do so many of the things I love.  The park bench that is just a few hundred yards away has become a difficult journey, etc.

A long life does not sound as appealing now.

Jim