Questions for the community

andy....@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2021, 5:10:50 AMMar 12
to Chaos Community
Firstly let me introduce myself - my name is Andy Hayman and I'm a "mature" under graduate student at the University of Bolton studying Computing. I'm currently writing my final dissertation and have become interested in Chaos Engineering.
I've worked and supported distributed systems running on Weblogic (originally BEA - 6.1+  and then Oracle), Oracle Service Bus, Oracle SOA etc and have experience of many problems were application/server issues in one part of the environment show up as failures in what was thought as un-related services.  For me chaos engineering and SRE fits nicely in with my experience.

I'm looking to touch base with people to see what their experiences are.
Things I'm interested in are :-
who is doing chaos engineering?
any improvement in reliability etc?
Size of environments - i.e. is there a minimum sort of size of environment as in number of servers, VMs, services etc?
Any UK teams involved in chaos engineering?
Is any one doing security chaos engineering - the sort of thing Aaron Rinehart has published a report on? Interested in this as security was always a big issue i.e. getting security sign off etc. Found his report excellent - the discussion on yolosec and fomosec, attacker maths etc

I'm aware that Gremlin have published a report on the state of play, in fact I had  a brief exchange of emails with Kolton from gremlin around this time last year and a possible broader industry survey was mentioned.

My Uni email is awh...@bolton.ac.uk - can be used for any communications. Any replies and anything included in my final documents will obviously be anonymised or cited in accordance with the university policies

Thanks for taking time to read.