Sharing the findings of the State of Chaos Engineering 2021 Report

Tammy Bryant Butow

Feb 5, 2021, 10:01:00 AM2/5/21
to Chaos Community
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share the findings of the State of Chaos Engineering report:

It's a huge report with many interesting findings, we interviewed hundreds of engineers.

We often chat about who should do CE? Which environments should we do it in? What kind of failure modes should we inject? We've got some really great insights to share from across the community to answer these questions.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 9.55.36 AM.png

Key Findings
  • Increased availability and decreased MTTR are the two most common benefits of Chaos Engineering
  • Teams who frequently run Chaos Engineering experiments have >99.9% availability
  • 23% of teams had a mean time to resolution (MTTR) of under 1 hour and 60% under 12 hours
  • Network attacks are the most commonly run experiments, in line with the top failures reported
  • While still an emerging practice, the majority of respondents (60%) have run at least one Chaos Engineering attack
  • 34% of respondents run Chaos Engineering experiments in production
Please share this with your coworkers : ) It's a great read!
Look forward to comparing 2021 and 2022.

--

Reliably Yours,

Tammy

Gremlin