Need help on the following Chaos engineering principles

Mat Villanueva

Jan 20, 2021, 12:26:57 AM1/20/21
to Chaos Community
1. What system to undergo Chaos?
2. What are the entry and exit criteria for chaos?
3. What is the tool selection criteria and process?
4. Chaos engineering framework - How should we perform Chaos?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!

ersushantsood

Jan 20, 2021, 1:18:52 AM1/20/21
to Mat Villanueva, Chaos Community
Hi Mat,
            Please find below the responses as per my understanding of your questions , As I am more of the chaos system architect, tried to respond :

1. What system to undergo Chaos?
Response: If the system is composed of multiple distributed components/services where unavailability of any component may impact the SLA .

2. What are the entry and exit criteria for chaos? - may be others would be able to provide better answer.

Response: Entry criteria: system is not able to meet SLAs

Exit criteria: I don't see any exit criteria and is continuous automated system resiliency evaluation but SLA can be one of the exit criteria.

3. What is the tool selection criteria and process?
Response:
1.security
2.ease of integration with the system
3.ease of chaos execution
4.types of chaos tests supported
5.Type of systems supported
6.On-Prem/Off-Prem support/Hybrid support
7.Restoration of system post chaos execution.
8.Cost of chaos injection.

4. Chaos engineering framework - How should we perform Chaos?
Response: Execute chaos in your dev/test first before running those in production. Also perform chaos using CI/CD to test resiliency of the systems in continuous fashion. It should not be a one time activity.

Regards
Sushant Sood
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or the entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this E-mail message immediately.

durga durga.nitdgp

Jan 20, 2021, 2:16:49 AM1/20/21
to ersushantsood, Mat Villanueva, Chaos Community
Hi All,

I'm looking to test the api hosted in App service and trying to create resource exhaustion in Azure appservice. Has anyone done a similar experiment? I'm also looking for open source tools for the same, please let me know if you have any references to the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Durgashini