ChangeCamp London - how to begin

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 1, 2010, 9:08:30 PM2/1/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
Ok Londoners, time for y'all to come out of hiding. I know from
Twitter that several of you got the Camp bug when you attended
AgendaCamp with TVO yesterday. So I created a wiki stub page as a
place to start:

http://wiki.changecamp.ca/ChangeCamp_London%2c_ON

Who's in? How do you begin? We're here to help, so stand up and be
counted.

Shawn Adamsson

Feb 1, 2010, 9:38:02 PM2/1/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
We're gathering up a group to visit the ChangeCamp planning session on
Feb 16th. Met more than a few individuals willing to get things
started here in London. Lots of enthusiasm and lots of ideas this
weekend. Now lets take the next step and start taking specifics and
turn that into action.

Jodi Simpson

Feb 1, 2010, 9:41:09 PM2/1/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
I'm so in!!!

Brian Frank

Feb 1, 2010, 10:04:50 PM2/1/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
I've reserved a spot at the design event Feb 16. Really looking
forward to that and helping bring ChangeCamp to London.

Justin Peters

Feb 1, 2010, 10:08:49 PM2/1/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hey Mark.

Justin Peters here, formerly of Skymeter Corporation, one of the
fabulous companies located in the MaRS building in Toronto. Prior to
joining Skymeter (Dec 2006 to Dec 2008) I worked at Toronto City Hall
(1999 to 2006) for City Councillors Michael Walker (to 05) and Shelley
Carroll (05/06.) After a few short term contracts in Toronto and a job
offer in Maryland that fell through due to Visa rules, I decided to
move back to London.

I'm not sure if this is where to comment but I'm sure I'll figure it
all out soon enough. I'm very interested in this format and have
watched the great work you've done in Toronto beginning with
TransitCamp so I'm keen to learn and participate.

I had the embarrassment of having one of my basest Tweets of the Day
repeated on air - teaching me a lesson about Tweeting (lol.) But I
stand by what I said - London is a beautiful City with wonderful
people but one thing that originally drove me to move to Toronto in
the first place was the lack of opportunity, particularly in the
social sciences field. However, now that I have returned with some
great experiences, contacts and knowledge in the fields of local
governance (and all it entails) as well as transportation technology,
I would love to find work in London, or develop my own work, to see
what I can do to help London build its capacity in a number of areas.

So...with the proviso that I may be called back to Toronto to a job at
Queen's Park (pending the results of Thursday's bi-election in Toronto
Center) you can absolutely count me in on this effort. And who knows,
perhaps something will arise in the coming days that will enable me to
stay here in my hometown, that truly has so much going for it.

JP

Justin Peters

Feb 1, 2010, 11:20:04 PM2/1/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

One question - how do I join the changecamp google group? Do you know? Any help? There's no obvious direction on the links. I feel old.

JP

Justin Peters
59 Brixham Road, London ON
647-298-7496
519-471-4588

Justin Peters

Feb 1, 2010, 11:23:11 PM2/1/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Nevermind. Think I've got it figured out.

Cheers All!

JP

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 2, 2010, 12:10:08 AM2/2/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Great to have the Londoners in the mix!

I turned on anonymous account creation on the ChangeCamp wiki so Londoners can get accounts now:
http://wiki.changecamp.ca/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&register=true

I'll turn this back off in a few days to dissuade spammers.

Feb 16th isn't actually a ChangeCamp, so I'm afraid you won't see how that is done. But we are doing something bigger with the toolkit, trying to make a bigger impact, and hopefully that would be useful to London too. It's also just great to meet your twitter peeps in person.

Titus Ferguson

Feb 2, 2010, 9:14:39 AM2/2/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
This is so great!

As many of you already know, I've wanted to do something like this for
a while so I am more then ecstatic that something is coming together.

Definitely count me in!

Kevin Van Lierop

Feb 2, 2010, 10:03:25 AM2/2/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
I would love to come down to Toronto on the 16th for the info/building
session but sadly I can't make it.

Hopefully those who do go can come back with some great ideas and
information and hold a local brainstorming/planning session.

Cheers

Kevin

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 2, 2010, 11:12:00 AM2/2/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
What we're doing in Toronto will be captured and shared widely, so don't worry about being there in person if you can't make it.

On the other hand, I'm trying to recruit 905ers to come so if you know anyone who fits the "Community Organizer" label in the 905, send them over!

mattt b.

Feb 2, 2010, 11:46:23 AM2/2/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely in. Can't make it to Toronto for the 16th, alas, but am excited about helping to bring ChangeCamp to London.

- Matthew Marr

--
http://twitter.com/matttbastard
"Snarking the zeitgeist in 140 characters or less"

http://bastardlogic.wordpress.com/
"When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire"

http://commentsfromleftfield.com/
"Loaning brain cells to those in need"

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 2, 2010, 9:23:01 PM2/2/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
This post by the London Free Press Editor-in-Chief is looking for your
comments: http://bit.ly/9HPntH

If the word "ChangeCamp" doesn't appear in those comments, I'll be
disappointed. ;)

Shawn Adamsson

Feb 2, 2010, 10:28:48 PM2/2/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I left a comment - just awaiting moderation.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Shawn

Justin Peters

Feb 3, 2010, 12:01:15 AM2/3/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Something like this:

It was a great event indeed (even if the online producer chose to quote my least intelligent comment of the entire weekend re girls vs jobs! LOL)

As a result of the AgendaCamp, which is an extension of various 'camps' that have been springing up around North America to engage citizens in their governments and transit systems, a group of Londoners is forming to keep this momentum going. Politics, as the old saying goes, is too important to leave to the politicians. Using technology to bring citizens into the decision-making process promises to increase the legitimacy of government and ideally, reduce the cynicism surrounding modern politics.

Please visit http://changecamp.ca/ to learn more about this movement and sign-up to the Changecamp London group so that we can build on this momentum and the energy of so many Londoners looking to build a more inclusive, diverse and sustainable City.

Brian Frank

Feb 3, 2010, 5:42:15 AM2/3/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
For the sake of starting to do things I set up a Gmail account changeca...@gmail.com as a neutral address for setting up social media profiles etc -- for now. If we want to set up Google Apps on our own domain we can always do that later. Also got a Twitter account: @changecampldn. At this point this stuff is easy to change if anyone thinks we should. Probably not doing any tweeting or extensive following until it looks prettier...

Mark: are there guidelines or anything for branding & logo?

Tonight in London some of us might end up discussing this stuff face-to-face -- who'll actually manage accounts, etc. Matt and Justin, we'll be at Chaucer's, where we have a monthly social media meetup http://www.meetup.com/LondonSocialMedia/calendar/12245936/ » Everyone's welcome (I'm not sure if it's 6:30 or 7:30 -- Titus?).

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 3, 2010, 7:57:28 AM2/3/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
This is great Brian. And very timely, as I'm working with folks in Barrie right now too, and what I hope to do is to figure out all the big and little things that organizers need for  the so-called "ChangeCamp-in-a-Box". In general, I'd like to make sure we have some useful resources and patterns to use and push administration of those resources out to local organizers.

1. Here's a link to logo and brand standards: http://changecamp.ca/files/ChangeCamplogobrandstds.zip
2. I've got Google Apps setup on the changecamp.org domain, which local organizers are welcome to use.
3. The wiki is available, with anonymous account creation currently turned on.
4. I'd like to suggest that this Google Group belongs to organizers across Canada, until such time as the volume becomes an issue.

I'm thinking of eventually moving "how-to" content from the wiki onto Google Sites, and focusing content capture on the liveblog (Scribblelive has provided an enterprise version of their product for ChangeCamp) or blog like Posterous.

What else needs to be in this toolkit? What do you think about when you hear "ChangeCamp-in-a-Box"?

Brian Frank

Feb 3, 2010, 1:08:09 PM2/3/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
We'll keep these questions and possibilities in mind throughout the process. I think I have some ideas but I want to make them a little more coherent before reporting back, which shouldn't bee too long (knowing you must be looking for feedback to use Feb 16).

I'm thinking London will be a good area for exploring ways to make ChangeCamp more inviting to non-technical people (which you tweeted about yesterday) while enabling them to become a little more savvy in the process. Our offline networks are very strong, but there's still a lot of opportunity to bring people online.
Brianfrank.ca | Twitter @brian_frank | 519 694 0387

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 3, 2010, 1:13:18 PM2/3/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

It is exactly this kind of thinking we're looking for at the 16th session. It is all about designing "ChangeCamp-in-a-Box" in a way that is relevant to communities large and small.

Mita

Feb 8, 2010, 2:10:20 PM2/8/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
Windsor is the process of gearing up for our own ChangeCamp and I will
try my best to make our planning pitfalls as public as possible to
help out building the 'ChangeCamp in a Box' project.

Here are some of my own immediate questions that would love help on:

1. The logo and brand standards are great but the standard neglects to
mention the font of the ChangeCamp logo. I was hoping to create a
"ChangeCamp Windsor-Essex" and/or WEChangeCamp banner not unlike the
ChangeCamp Edmonton: http://www.changecampedmonton.ca/event/

2. What are these ChangeCamp Google Apps? I tried looking for them but
I wasn't sure what to look for.

And I can I test an assumption against the group? Am I right when I
say that only ChangeCamp Vancouver had pre-established some speaker
slots for the day's events and that every other ChangeCamp only
generated conversation topics on the event day and only at the event?

Thanks for any assistance
Mita

On Feb 3, 7:57 am, Mark Kuznicki <mark.kuzni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great Brian. And very timely, as I'm working with folks in Barrie right now too, and what I hope to do is to figure out all the big and little things that organizers need for  the so-called "ChangeCamp-in-a-Box". In general, I'd like to make sure we have some useful resources and patterns to use and push administration of those resources out to local organizers.
>
> 1. Here's a link to logo and brand standards:http://changecamp.ca/files/ChangeCamplogobrandstds.zip
> 2. I've got Google Apps setup on the changecamp.org domain, which local organizers are welcome to use.
> 3. The wiki is available, with anonymous account creation currently turned on.
> 4. I'd like to suggest that this Google Group belongs to organizers across Canada, until such time as the volume becomes an issue.
>
> I'm thinking of eventually moving "how-to" content from the wiki onto Google Sites, and focusing content capture on the liveblog (Scribblelive has provided an enterprise version of their product for ChangeCamp) or blog like Posterous.
>
> What else needs to be in this toolkit? What do you think about when you hear "ChangeCamp-in-a-Box"?
>
> On 2010-02-03, at 5:42 AM, Brian Frank wrote:
>

> > For the sake of starting to do things I set up a Gmail account changecamplon...@gmail.com as a neutral address for setting up social media profiles etc -- for now. If we want to set up Google Apps on our own domain we can always do that later. Also got a Twitter account: @changecampldn. At this point this stuff is easy to change if anyone thinks we should. Probably not doing any tweeting or extensive following until it looks prettier...

> > Mark: are there guidelines or anything for branding & logo?
>

> > Tonight in London some of us might end up discussing this stuff face-to-face -- who'll actually manage accounts, etc. Matt and Justin, we'll be at Chaucer's, where we have a monthly social media meetuphttp://www.meetup.com/LondonSocialMedia/calendar/12245936/» Everyone's welcome (I'm not sure if it's 6:30 or 7:30 -- Titus?).

> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Mark Kuznicki <mark.kuzni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This post by the London Free Press Editor-in-Chief is looking for your
> > comments:http://bit.ly/9HPntH
>
> > If the word "ChangeCamp" doesn't appear in those comments, I'll be
> > disappointed. ;)
>
> > On Feb 1, 9:41 pm, Jodi Simpson <jodi.simp...@techalliance.ca> wrote:
> > > I'm so in!!!

Justin Archer

Feb 8, 2010, 4:36:46 PM2/8/10
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi Mita,

I can confirm on behalf of the Edmonton group that there we no
predetermined speaking slots. The grid on the wall was empty at the
start of the day and anyone with an idea for a discussion slot had to
come up and pitch it at the beginning.

I don't know what the font is for the logo - I think it originated
with Mark Kuznicki though, he could probably help. I believe he is the
Godfather of Changecamp. (Blogfather?)

One thing we did in Edmonton that I thought worked well was to get
Changecamp Edmonton tee-shirts made up for the organizers to wear,
which allowed people to quickly identify who to go to with logistical
type questions (how do I get on the wireless network? how does this
wiki work? etc.)

Another thing I thought was good from Edmonton was the Twitterfall we
projected up on a screen, showing all the tweets on our hashtag in
real time.

Best of luck in Windsor!

Justin Archer

Mark Kuznicki

Feb 9, 2010, 1:10:28 AM2/9/10
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Mita,

I've uploaded a more complete set of design files, including fonts, t-shirt, poster and blog theme.

http://changecamp.ca/files/ChangeCampDesignFiles.zip

The Google Apps idea is mostly just an idea at this point.

Personally, I'm a big fan of a pre-programmed set of Ignite format presentations to kick things off on the day. It gets the energy up and the 5 minute time constraint helps keep things moving and on schedule.

Mark.