Re: [changecamp] Digest for changecamp@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Michael Lewkowitz

Nov 20, 2009, 9:57:49 PM11/20/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see a changecamp about change. How it happens. How we do it. How we can help it happen.
On 2009-11-20, at 2:43 PM, chang...@googlegroups.com wrote:

  Today's Topic Summary

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/changecamp/topics

    Mark Kuznicki <mark.k...@gmail.com> Nov 20 12:04PM -0500

    Hi everyone,

    I wanted to ask ChangeCampers for their ideas on what we could do
    together in Toronto in 2010. I am putting together a proposal for the
    Toronto Community Foundation (deadline December 1st) to fund a program
    of work in Toronto during 2010 and I need your input.

    (FYI, I will eventually hive off Toronto into a separate city-focused
    Google Group, but for now I'd like to host this conversation here.)

    ChangeCampTO 2009 was a success by many measures. Toronto's open data
    program and DataTO.org, the Ontario Public Service WiredCamp event and
    myriad other conversations and connections were made that have planted
    seeds of change in many different parts of our public life.
    ChangeCampTO became a model and a meme that moved to Ottawa,
    Vancouver, Edmonton and soon Halifax (December 5th) with Victoria,
    Windsor, London, Barrie, Thunder Bay and on and on all have interested
    organizers. I think it's fair to say we started a movement.

    So what's next for Toronto?

    Considering the 2010 municipal election context, I think a strong
    municipal and hyper-local focus is something that makes a lot of sense.

    I would like to develop the model further, see how it can get to the
    neighbourhood or community level, how we can connect more
    conversations and ideas together, and how we do a much better job at
    post-event action.

    I am thinking about a shift from a government focus to a community
    action focus (with government at the table) and enabling neighbourhood
    ChangeCamps that can be self-organized by neighbourhood leaders.

    These leaders will need tools, training and support. They will need to
    learn how to design, organize, recruit, pay for and promote a
    ChangeCamp. They will need help in terms of methods, resources and
    relationships.

    I am also thinking about a penultimate ChangeCamp event that would
    draw from these hyper-local neighbourhood ChangeCamps and feature the
    best ideas, the most interesting voices and give them a platform the
    size of the city to share those ideas and inform the public discourse
    during the election season.

    I am thinking about what happens after an election, how ideas can
    really be turned into action and positive change for our city.

    But this is just a beginning based on my ideas.

    What do others think? What would you want to do? How could you
    contribute to something big and impactful in 2010?

Michael Lewkowitz

ventures | systems | investment | change