list of Canadian municipalities

Canadaka

Sep 17, 2009, 1:43:49 AM9/17/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I am the creator of politwitter.ca and I'm starting a new sub-city
that will cover local municipal government on Twitter.
http://local.politwitter.ca/

I am trying to find some sort of list of all the Canadian
municipalities. I need it for my database and I'm unable to find one.
I am currently just using a list of all the Weather locals across the
country as a temporarily solution.

Any help in locating a list would be very helpful! I could also use a
list of all the Wards across the country... but i kinda doubt that
even exists.

David Janes

Sep 17, 2009, 7:42:36 AM9/17/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Canada

If you really want to go all out:
http://www.geonames.org/about.html

I was about to put a plug in for Yahoo's interesting GeoPlanet, but it's down
http://developer.yahoo.com/geo/

Regards,
David

Canadaka

Sep 17, 2009, 8:24:19 AM9/17/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I'm not sure if a list of Cities necessarily equals a list of
municipalities.

The wikipedia page isn't that useful anyway, since I need to enter
this into MySQL that would require a lot of manual work. Ideally a CSV
file or even a html table that could be copied into Excel would be
best.

If I can't find a proper municipal list I will look at using one of
those web services to get a list of cities, thanks.

On Sep 17, 4:42 am, David Janes <davidja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Canada
>
> If you really want to go all out:http://www.geonames.org/about.html
>
> I was about to put a plug in for Yahoo's interesting GeoPlanet, but it's
> downhttp://developer.yahoo.com/geo/
>
> Regards,
> David

Karen Smith

Sep 17, 2009, 9:58:50 AM9/17/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think that a good place to check would be with the Federation of
Canadian Municipalities: http://www.fcm.ca/

They have a membership list and a membership staff person who might
know if there are non-members (see:
http://www.fcm.ca/english/view.asp?x=498).

Best,

Karen Smith

Mark Kuznicki

Sep 17, 2009, 10:20:42 AM9/17/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
This problem is made more difficult by the existence of multi-tier municipalities - city/town and regional levels. For example, in Ontario you can look at the AMO list: http://www.amo.on.ca/Content/NavigationMenu/AboutAMO/MembershipInformation/Members/default.htm
___________
Mark Kuznicki

mobile: 416-994-2470
Skype: markkuznicki
GTalk: ma...@remarkk.com
MSN: mkuz...@hotmail.com

spencer

Sep 17, 2009, 11:25:36 AM9/17/09
to ChangeCamp Canada

Michael Allan

Sep 18, 2009, 4:23:11 PM9/18/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
> I am trying to find some sort of list of all the Canadian
> municipalities. I need it for my database and I'm unable to find one.
> I am currently just using a list of all the Weather locals across the
> country as a temporarily solution.
>
> Any help in locating a list would be very helpful! I could also use a
> list of all the Wards across the country... but i kinda doubt that
> even exists.

I found this:
http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/index.cfm

Refer to "Select from a list" at bottom. Most of the entries are
census subdivisions (CSDs). A CSD is:

Area that is a municipality or an area that is deemed to be
equivalent to a municipality for statistical reporting purposes
(e.g., as an Indian reserve or an unorganized territory). Municipal
status is defined by laws in effect in each province and territory
in Canada.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/reference/dictionary/geo012.cfm

But most CSDs are small. CAs and CMAs are larger:

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/reference/dictionary/geo009.cfm

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521