The Introduce Yourself Thread

Mark Kuznicki

Dec 31, 2008, 11:07:53 AM12/31/08
to ChangeCamp Canada
For all ChangeCamp Canada Google Group members, please take a few
minutes to write a 1 paragraph introduction of yourself here. As this
group grows and spreads, we need to make sure we know who is in here
and enable people to find each other both in and out of the group.

------------

I am Mark Kuznicki, and my work as an independent consultant is driven
by a social mission to help foster innovations in how society can
organize itself to solve the most challenging problems that we face.
Part of what I do is combine "open space" or BarCamp-style face-to-
face events together with social media to engage citizens in new
conversations about public policy issues. I was one of the organizers
of Toronto TransitCamp, which led to being published in Harvard
Business Review. I am currently doing work with TVO's "The Agenda with
Steve Paikin" to engage Ontario citizens in communities across Ontario
in new conversations about Ontario's changing economy and help support
user-generated content creation that straddles face-to-face events,
online and broadcast platforms.

Blog: http://remarkk.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/remarkk/
Email: ma...@remarkk.com

------------

Mike Beltzner

Dec 31, 2008, 12:11:29 PM12/31/08
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'm Mike Beltzner (@beltzner, flickr/photos/beltzner, gtalk:mbeltzner) an erstwhile teacher, one time user experience designer, full time optimist  (though I hide that one well) and currently serve as the Director of Firefox for Mozilla, working in the Toronto office, as well as, let's be honest, my
home. Also, perhaps counter-intuitively, I lean to the right in a free-marketish way, which probably puts me in a minority in this group. Don't worry, though: I dress left, so it balances out. :)

I'm pretty passionate about this issue, perhaps because I feel like all the smartest people I know consider politics to be little more than entertainment, and not something to which they can meaningfully contribute. This is a natural effect of living in a portion of the country where there  has been little to no change in Federal representation for the past 20 years, meaning that enfranchisement feels like it's at an all time low. Coupled with a hard-to-penetrate, tightly disciplined party system with little in the way of transparence and lots in the way of "play to the press, not the people" politics, it feels to me like disillusionment (and as someone astutely mentioned, misinformation) is on an ever-increasing rise. When Mark and I began arguing in earnest during the recent politicial "crisis" (more like "temper tantrum") we both noticed that although on different sides of the issue, our passion and desire for a change in attitudes and modus operandi on the Hill were shared. I am incredibly enthusiatic about the winds of change that are blowing from our neighbours to the south, and a cheerleader for All Things Open.

I am excited at the potential of this group, and this mission.

cheers, and apologies for it being two paragraphs,
mike

Joe Dee

Dec 31, 2008, 12:16:21 PM12/31/08
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, my paragraphs (I find these tough):

I'm Joe Dee, Manager, Online Development at MaRS (http://www.marsdd.com). There I'm responsible for advising entrepreneurs on how to best use innovative web technologies, as well as managing the strategy and development of MaRS' multiple web-presences.

Prior to MaRS, I spent 12 years in the interactive agency world, working at Critical Mass (http://www.criticalmass.com/) as a Director of Technology and Organic (http://www.organic.com/) as a Manager of Engineering. I was responsible for forming online strategies for Fortune 500 clients such as Citibank, Rolex, Michelin, Chrysler, and Dell. Part of my core role was to research emerging technologies and advise clients on how they could be used for their business.

After having been exposed to the SiG@MaRS mission (http://www.marsdd.com/mars/About-MaRS/Partners/sig.html), my interest (both professionally and personally) changed from being profit-driven, to how social technologies can be used in more meaningful ways to mobilize movements for social change.

You can find me on the following social networks:

Twitter - http://twitter.com/josephdee
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephdee
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/deespot/
Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/3powfs

Joe

Gerry Kirk

Dec 31, 2008, 8:49:09 PM12/31/08
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I met Mark Kuznicki through related efforts during the previous election (I did pairvote.ca) and have kept in touch with him through Twitter. I've a purpose-driven, faith-inspired social change guy who once did software development and now work as an Agile coach for software teams. Along the way I spent 2.5 years volunteering with mcc.org to overhaul their use of technology. ChangeCamp is my cup of tea, and I hope to play a useful role in the effort.

I had hoped to call in today from chilly, sunny Sault Ste. Marie, ON but with 3 kids age 4 and under, life isn't so predictable. :)

http://twitter.com/gerrykirk
http://www.gerrykirk.net (see About page for more contact details)

Cheers,
Gerry
--
skype: gerry.kirk and more ways to connect @ http://gerrykirk.net/about
blog: http://gerrykirk.net

mgcayley

Jan 1, 2009, 11:38:12 AM1/1/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi Rahaf Harfoush turned me on to this group after I invited her to
make a guest post at www.redliberals.ca (now you are invited too). I
have considered Mark a friend since 2004, when we met while I was COO
of PodChannels.

If you check out www.redliberals.ca "About" page, you'll see that it
is motivated by values and themes that are almost identical to the
ones that were expressed during yesterday's formative meeting. It
sprang out of a dinner with two friends. It would have been less
authentic of us to try to shut off our partisan associations to engage
in this effort, but that doesn't mean that the work of the blog is
essentially partisan. It is essentially about change. So keep that
in mind. We would love to have anyone & everyone in this group either
connect with the blog either via Google Connect or Facebook Connect
and please consider writing a guest post.

http://redliberals.ca/about-liberal-20-manifesto

Over the last year I have been working to advance the idea of Social
Capital Value Add, a corporate valuation & management methodology that
connects social media to corporate value. See www.socialcapitalvalueadd.com
"About" pages for more about SCVA, my background in China & as the
former CEO of a VC/Microsoft backed startup and consultant.

Feel free to connect via www.twitter.com/memeticbrand

Please ... let us reinvent the idea of what responsible government
means in Canada.

On Dec 31 2008, 8:49 pm, "Gerry Kirk" <gerry.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> and enable people to find each other both in and out of the group.
>
> >> ------------
>
> >> I am Mark Kuznicki, and my work as an independent consultant is driven
> >> by a social mission to help foster innovations in how society can
> >> organize itself to solve the most challenging problems that we face.
> >> Part of what I do is combine "open space" or BarCamp-style face-to-
> >> face events together with social media to engage citizens in new
> >> conversations about public policy issues. I was one of the organizers
> >> of Toronto TransitCamp, which led to being published in Harvard
> >> Business Review. I am currently doing work with TVO's "The Agenda with
> >> Steve Paikin" to engage Ontario citizens in communities across Ontario
> >> in new conversations about Ontario's changing economy and help support
> >> user-generated content creation that straddles face-to-face events,

Martin Kuplens-Ewart

Jan 1, 2009, 11:48:46 AM1/1/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm Martin Kuplens-Ewart - self-employed UX-design-type person, involved
in social start-up (non-profit) and governance since 2000 when I was
part of the group that created TakingITGlobal, a youth-run,
youth-focused NFP. I find myself perpetually fascinated by
organisational dynamics, trying to figure out 'what happens five steps
down the road', and in the case of ChangeCamp, how we can adapt the
apparent methodology of the Obama-Biden campaign in change.gov (and
other tools) to help our political system and actors better and more
effectively/efficiently do their jobs of representing constituents while
providing the latter with tangible, trackable engagement mechanisms.

Lurked on the call yesterday – looking forward to the 24th,

-m

Matthew Nish-Lapidus

Jan 2, 2009, 10:05:18 AM1/2/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everybody,

I'm Matt Nish-Lapidus, an independent interaction and system designer
and all around big idea lover. Over the years I've worked as an
artist, designer, musician, web developer, information architect, and
more. I just (about 4 weeks ago) finished my job as lead designer for
BiblioCommons, a company building software for public libraries
(opl.bibliocommons.com is a live installation). Previous to that I
worked at Henderson Bas (www.icoke.ca, caw.ca), and a number of other
marketing agencies.

Now I'm trying to find a place for my skills in a new type of
business, making people's lives better through social change and
technology.

ChangeCamp is a really exciting initiative, and I can't wait to be involved.

Matt.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus

Jennifer Bell

Jan 2, 2009, 10:33:53 AM1/2/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi there,

I'm Jennifer Bell of VisibleGovernment.ca, an incorporated non-profit
dedicated to supporting the development and promotion of online tools
for government transparency. To this end, we've got a few pilot
projects in the works, the first of which -- 'I Believe in Open',
(http://ibelieveinopen.ca) was launched during the election.

The short term goal of our pilots was/is 1) to gather a base of like
minds interested in greater government transparency, and 2) showcase
the potential of online tools built on open, structured government
data. Our long term goal is to be an umbrella organization that
promotes public awareness and accelerates development of online tools
for transparency via contests and grants to external projects.

I dialed in to the organizational meeting from noon until 2. It was
great to hear so much enthusiasm gathered in one place! I also see
from the posted stakeholders document that you've been grappling with
some of the same issues we have. The more minds engaged in these
issues, the better.

My bio, as well as those of the VisibleGovernment.ca board and
advisors, is here:

http://visiblegovernment.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=40

Our general discussion group is open for anyone to join. If you have
a passion for the topic of government transparency via online tools
for citizen engagement, we'd love to hear from you:

http://groups.google.com/group/visiblegovernment-discuss

Jennifer

Michael Allan

Jan 4, 2009, 3:29:56 PM1/4/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi folks, I'm a software engineer in Toronto, working in collaborative
and social media. My current project is Votorola, a consensus voting
system. I'm sorry I missed your first meeting. I'll listen in, and
help if I can, -- Mike

Sameer Vasta

Jan 5, 2009, 2:32:18 PM1/5/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Was great meeting many of you on the 31st, hope 2009 has kicked off
with a bang for all of you!

So, intro time: I'm Vasta, a storyteller with experience working on
web engagement strategy with the not-for-profit sector (Aga Khan
Development Network, International Award for Young People, Red Cross
Europe, etc.) and have recently been working for the Ontario
government in exploring internal and external engagement using
emerging web technologies.

I'm actually leaving Canada next week (!) to go and work on social
media strategy for the World Bank in Washington DC, but still very
much interested in being a part of this initiative, even if it means
flying back if need be. Plus, I think there may be some good learnings
we can take from DC (AppsForDemocracy, Digital Public Square, etc.)
and use them here in Canada.

I'm easily stalkable: http://itellstories.org and http://twitter.com/vasta
are good places to start.

Justin Kozuch

Jan 5, 2009, 4:20:59 PM1/5/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year all! I think 2009 is going to be an awesome year!

About me: I work at Evoke Solutions (http://www.evokesolutions.com/)
as the Lead Web Developer, working with CSS/XHTML and PHP. I can
sometimes be found writing jQuery and reading through API's. When I'm
not banging out code, I run Refresh Events, an interactive media
usergroup (http://www.refresh-events.ca/). Refresh is an organization
whose mission is to inspire, educate and spark dialogue by providing
free or affordable events to creative talents of all levels and
disciplines within the interactive industry.

If you need to reach me, I can be found on Twitter at http://twitter.com/jkozuch

Cheers,

Justin

Alidad Mafinezam

Jan 5, 2009, 4:46:13 PM1/5/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It was such a great meeting on Dec. 31st.

I am Alidad Mafinezam (a.k.a Ali) and I am currently a Senior Fellow at the Mosaic Institute, which I co-founded with Vahan Kololian in 2006. My academic interest is in the relationship between ideas and action, or social science and public policy, on which I wrote a dissertation at Rutgers. More recently, I have done research and written about the role of diaspora communities in international peace and development.
I think it's the non-profit sector -- NGOs -- that must increasingly lead in promoting positive change, and to bring the private sector, the government, and educational institutions (including schools, colleges, and universities) along.
The health of the non-profit sector is a good indicator of our social and envriomental health, and I hope to see this on display at the Change Camp. The Ontario Nonprofit Network, is a great initiative to connect to...
Regards,
Ali

Ali

Daniel Rose

Jan 5, 2009, 6:14:49 PM1/5/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I am Daniel Rose, and I design and facilitate face to face events for
large groups that are designed to tap into and deploy the collective
intelligence of that group towards solving one or multiple complex
problems. I've been freelance for a few months now after having worked
for Bell Canada and Yahoo before that. I've also had the opportunity
to help organizations such as Sierra Club, United Way and Habitat for
Humanity develop their organizational strategies using the
methodologies I employ. I met Mark a year or so ago and am currently
working with him on the TVO - AgendaCamp project.

On Dec 31 2008, 11:07 am, Mark Kuznicki <mark.kuzni...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Dan Hocking

Jan 5, 2009, 6:22:14 PM1/5/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hey folks,

Dan Hocking here. I'm on the younger side of the organizers here, and
am trying to bring that youthful approach forward. Currently, I'm
transitioning out of my corporate recruitment work to some
philanthropic work overseas, with some freelance design and writing
work to fill the gaps in between. In terms of my relevance, besides my
university education in politics (specifically North American
politics, even more specifically in public policy and the urban
political process), I've worked on both sides of the political
spectrum. My first foray into politics was working on the provincial
leadership campaign for a current federal cabinet minister (whom, when
I mention his name, usually gets me some sharp looks; let's just say
that he thought jailing the homeless was an effective way to get them
off of the streets), and subsequently during my university years found
myself on the activist side, both from a local standpoint and on
behalf of our student body, as a member of Ontario's largest student
lobby group. I have particular interest in engaging citizens to be
involved in the democratic process, and encouraging our young people
to care as much about Canadian level politics as they did about
Barack. Participatory democracy efforts are likely to really interest
me.

You can find me at http://www.twitter.com/D_Hock or www.danhocking.com.

Cheers.

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Alex

Jan 8, 2009, 5:50:16 PM1/8/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hello folks,

I'm Alex Sirota, manager of electronic service delivery at the
Ministry of Small Business and Consumer Services. I've worked as a
product manager at 2 startups in the Toronto area, including EveryWare
Development (Tango anyone?) and FloNetwork (we sent a lot of email to
many people every day, now owned by Google by way of Doubleclick). I
grew up most of my life in the US (Detroit area) and am a transplant
of 13 years to Toronto.

I have been a consultant for the non profit space for several years
and for the past 6 years have been working to help a fledgling, new
Ontario government Ministry get online. I designed and built a grant
mangement system called SCREEN for a youth entrepreneurship program
called Summer Company (www.ontario.ca/summercompany).

I am interested in what will happen when regulations require
governments to make all their expenditures transparent - government is
pretty good at collecting money from citizens, but how about at
distributing the money? In 2006 Barack Obama wrote the Accountability
and Transparency Act into law, and the results were usaspending.gov,
but surely this doesn't end there does it?

Accountability and transparency is a pretty large problem, but if we
don't find a way to understand where government money is used (or
abused) we as citizens never really know if government is doing what
it says it is going to do for us. And government will never really
know if it is putting bad money after good, or where it should place
its efforts year over year.

I've met Mark over lunch several times and seen him speak and very
impressed by his fervor for the topic of change. I've been running my
own group called the NewPath Network for independent consultants for
several years over at www.newpathnetwork.org. I hope to add to the
discussion when I can and am able. Looking forward to the ride ahead.

Alex Sirota
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexsirota

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Mark Kuznicki

Jan 9, 2009, 3:02:17 PM1/9/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
As a reminder, now that I'm opening up the Google Group to a larger
circle of amazing change agents, I would appreciate if all members of
the ChangeCamp Canada Google Group - new and old - make sure that you
introduce yourself in this thread, so all newcomers can quickly orient
themselves to group.

Thank you!!

Mark.

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Mario Bourque

Jan 10, 2009, 1:58:00 PM1/10/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I'm Mario!

I was inspired by Joseph Dee to get involved and find solutions rather
than just sit around a table and talk about things. After connecting
with Mark Kuznicki, I realized that there is an opportunity to look at
non-conventional strategies to solve these problems.

It's important to care about the political system, because it really
affects all of us, and the decisions we make today will affect the
outcome of what kind of country we create for our children. The world
is changing and we need to rethink how we engage both our politicians
and voters. The status quo does not work anymore and we have real
choices. What matters for today's younger generations is not the same
as what matters for older generations.

The problems that have been caused by our profit driven business model
has made a lot of us rethink our own strategies on how we want to be
able to contribute to our society.

My day job has me working for a software company that delivers
solutions to the people transportation industry. My night and weekend
job is split between family and volunteering.

I'm not sure in what capacity I can help, but I would like to be
involved. It is an important initiative.

You may find me here:

Mario Bourque
Web: www.mariobourque.com
Email: ma...@mariobourque.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/mariobourque

Best Regards,
Mario Bourque

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Ian Bailey

Jan 12, 2009, 9:44:16 AM1/12/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
My name is Ian Bailey. I am a software developer, user interface
designer and product manager at a smaller company right now.

I have been looking to get more involved in driving political change,
and from speaking to my peers it seems I am not alone in feeling
unrepresented by most of the political discussion that goes on. I
don't have a lot of prior experience to speak of, but I do listen in
on lots of things going on, and I'm willing to help out in most areas.

ChangeCamp sounds exciting so far!

~Ian
Twitter: ian_b

noel hidalgo

Jan 12, 2009, 1:24:44 PM1/12/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
hello. i'm known around the world as noneck. i'm an explorer based in
brooklyn, nyc. i've help popularized unconference in nyc and am known
for my first person documentary projects.

i am here to be a fly on the wall and help my own circle of political
conduits form ChangeCamp.US into something electrifying.

ps - most recent electoral/political project, Twitter VoteReport &
RemixAmerica.org
bs - http://blog.noneck.org

cheers.
noneck

Mark Kuznicki

Jan 13, 2009, 11:30:08 PM1/13/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
A reminder to all current and new members, please be sure to post
something in "The Introduce Yourself Thread". This is a participants
only space, so please make yourself known to the rest of the group.
Why are you interested in ChangeCamp?

Mark.

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Lisa Santonato

Jan 14, 2009, 12:00:59 AM1/14/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the reminder. I am a newcomer, and happy to provide my introduction here:

ABOUT LISA SANTONATO
I am a media artist and writer with 15+ years' experience working in a variety of entertainment and media sectors. For the past ten years I have worked under the auspices of FTP Media Inc. [Forward Thinking Productions], specializing in the production of Electronic Press Kits and promotional videos for artists mainly in the music industry. I have devoted considerable time towards educating and consulting clients on how to maximize opportunities for brand extension using new media communications technologies. My current mission under FTP is to continue to provide content development and production services to clients in the Arts, Culture and Environment sectors with the strengthened benefit of employing social media campaign strategies towards increased awareness of global environmental issues.

ABOUT FTP MEDIA
FTP Media [Forward Thinking Productions] Inc. is a privately held independent Canadian production company dedicated to the creation of new media productions that reveal truths about shared human experiences. FTP Media built its foundation upon the technologies and philosophies of File Transfer Protocol, the basis of all new media, and has been committed to the creation, production and broadcast of forward thinking productions since 1999. Most recently FTP Media is responsible for contributing two videos ("Vote Strategically" and the 'Teaser' video) to the non-partisan group AnyoneButHarper.ca. Having been strongly buoyed by the first-hand experience of seeing democracy work in action through social media and online video campaigns, Lisa can safely say, FTP Media has arrived.

Go Bama!

And good to meet you all.

Lisa

WEB:

http://www.ftpmedia.com

http://greetingsfromthailand.org/

LINKEDIN:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lisasantonato

YOUTUBE:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lisalouise

TWITTER:

http://twitter.com/ftpmedia

http://twitter.com/elsantonato

Mike Jones

Jan 14, 2009, 1:08:31 AM1/14/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
My name is Michael Jones, and I'm a professor at Sheridan College in
the Communication, Culture and Information Technology program, a
undergraduate degree program offered jointly with the University of
Toronto Mississauga.

I've been a semi-regular participant at Toronto unconferences for a
couple of years and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Not only
an awesome community, but a potentially awesome force for good. I've
always been a tech geek (as this embarrassing flashback to Xmas 26
years ago proves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUzzNlE66Qk) but I'm
even more of a political geek (alas, with no video evidence of
yet...)

I've always believed the fusion of these communities of practice could
be fundamentally dangerous to the status quo, and I'm glad to see both
increasing evidence of this and a group of people who are eager to do
something about it.

I'm presently co-teaching a course in digital innovation and cultural
transformation, which will get kicked off in the right direction with
Mark Kuznicki's guest lecture Thursday. Feel free to follow the
course's evolution through the course wiki: http://cct205-w09.wikispaces.com.

I've been wikifying my courses for three years now (the first attempt
in the same course three years ago: http://ccit205.wikispaces.com) and
have been doing presentations and papers on wikis in education for the
last couple of years, with increasing interest in dissecting the
centralized and ossified control metaphor of traditional learning
management systems.

Feel free to email or tweet (mlwjones). Really looking forward to
ChangeCamp.

Sandy Kemsley

Jan 14, 2009, 11:17:46 AM1/14/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I'm Sandy Kemsley, and I'm an independent consultant/analyst/blogger
working in the very enterprise-y area of business process management.
I don't do any (paid) work related to government or the public sector,
but I'm very interested in how we can improve access/participation in
our government. I've been a fairly active member of the TorCamp
community for a couple of years.

Twitter: skemsley

pkeenan

Jan 14, 2009, 12:11:18 PM1/14/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi Everyone,

I'm Patrick Keenan, working with THE MOVEMENT(#thmvmnt thmvmnt.com).
Very interested in opening up data and politics.

The Undecided http://www.theundecided.ca/ seeks to put forward issues
and allow people to find their party of closest alignment. It puts
issues forward from each party and in turn compares those accross the
5 parties. The end idea is to have people creating their own issues
and allow those issues to rise to the top. I created theundecided.ca
along with the great Alan Smith. We founded THE MOVEMENT http://www.themovement.info/
to work on projects such as these, in a distributed way, and to have
this method of work be financially sustainable for those involved.

To completely counter my initial efforts, I worked on the
AnyoneButHarper.ca campaign. I made a widget which allowed you to
enter your postal code to see who to vote for in your riding to defeat
the cons if you were in a swing riding, otherwise vote your heart.
Much thanks to Ana Serrano, Mark Kuznicki, and the VFE peeps for that
one.

My Twittering
http://www.twitter.com/interfaced/

wrote:
> Email: m...@remarkk.com
>
> ------------

Matt Price

Jan 14, 2009, 4:44:31 PM1/14/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

My name's matt, I have a longstanding interest in the relationship
between especially Free software and political action, which I guess
comes from two directions:
- involvement in indymedia.de a long time ago, starting in 2000; at
least in germany, indy was often seen as a technological initiative in
which the freedom of the code played an essantial part in the
emancipatory potential of the whole initiative;
- looooonng professional interest in the relationship between
technologies and politics, coming from a background in the history of
science.

recently on this front i've been involved in a couple of small
initiatives, sometimes technology education -- i ran a little project
in regent park teaching computer assembly and linux admin skills to
residents there -- and sometimes more directly political work closer
to the changecamp vision, e.g. i've done a little volunteering for
watchdog.net, mostly acquiring data, and investigating the code a bit
on my own (i'm not a coder, but i am a hobbyist, or poweruser). i'd
really like to see something close to the watchdog project up here in
canada, maybe also working at a municipal level, where i think it
might ultimately be easier to trace the relationships between money
and individual positions (the recent stuff in the media about
developers and city councillor campaign funding is a good example).
The watchdog model is set up to let citizens target individual
politicians; that's a little harder for us to do here, since the party
structure is so much more deeply entrenched in the parliamentary
system.

anyway, look forward to talking about all this more at changecamp!

matt

Peter Jones

Jan 14, 2009, 7:50:31 PM1/14/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'm Peter Jones, principal of Redesign Research, an Ohio company I founded
in 2001. People in Toronto know me as a design research / innovation
consultant, with an interest in bringing dialogue methods to the practices
of collaborative design. My blog Design Dialogues has been online for some
time, and is now at: http://designdialogues.com I've published articles and
have a new compact book arriving in a week or so (Nimble Publishing). We
Tried to Warn You: Innovations in Leadership for the Learning Organization.

I'm on the board of a US non-profit Institute for 21st Century Agoras. The
Agoras Institute is committed to creating forums and methods for engaged
dialogue for complex problem solving, adapting a method designed to address
the Continuous Complex Problems formulated by the Club of Rome. We use this
industrial strength process in online and F2F collocated engagements for
civic participation, community design, and policy making. Members of our
team have been using Structured Dialogic Design (SDD) in the breakthroughs
happening in the Cyprus Reunification peacemaking dialogues last year.

Half my time is spent in the US. In Ohio I have been a front lines and
behind the scenes activist and organizer for election reform (since 2004),
peacemaking, ethical community design, sustainable land use and development,
and arts activism. I am engaging with a small team of organizers and
designers in the great lamented city of Dayton in a project called Seeds of
Change, to re-energize social infrastructures and neighborhood identity with
small team and citizen engagement.

I want to join ChangeCamp to join these enduring interests of mine with
fellow designer/activists in Toronto. We are becoming residents and we're
committed to community design and citizen participation everywhere. I'd like
to also bring these practices of collaborative civic virtue back to the US.
An exchange program if you will. I hope to make the Camp on the 24th, and
plan to drive in late the night before. Cut me some slack if I'm late.

Peter Jones

Peter H. Jones, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant, Redesign Research
Visiting Scholar, University of Toronto

http://redesignresearch.com http://designdialogues.com
Twitter.com/redesign

Simon Clark

Jan 16, 2009, 2:17:15 PM1/16/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
I'm Simon Clark, an application and web developer from Guelph,
Ontario.

I'm also one of the main instigators behind http://www.villagetoolbox.com/
which provides a toolset to neighbourhood groups to organize and
improve their community.

Simon

Adam King

Jan 16, 2009, 4:08:02 PM1/16/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'm Adam King, currently living in Brantford, doing web strategy and
design and project management with my freelance collective, Unnormal - http://unnormal.ca/
. I'm also working on a project called the Ethical Coffee Chain, which
will be a grassroots distribution chain for fairly traded, sustainable
coffee (aiming to make it more affordable, accessible, and with better
returns for coffee farming communities than conventional fair trade.) http://ethicalcoffeechain.org/
. Part of what we're planning is a Google Maps ethical consumer source
directory mashup and socially-driven advocacy tools, and I'm of course
interested in seeing what sorts of web tools (if any) surface as part
of the ChangeCamp exploration as well.

As for some background info, in 1996 (at the age of 14) I co-started a
non-profit software design company in Bangladesh, producing multi-
media for charitable projects on both Mac and Windows platforms. My
time there Moving back to Canada, in 2004 I helped start a group at
York University called Students For Good Governance, which ran a
grassroots, bilingual campaign for governmental transparency in our
school's student union (resulting in the end in impeachment and
criminal charges for the union president.)

In 2006 (at the age of 23) I ran for the Green Party in the Brant
riding, ran for Brantford municipal council later in the year, and
wrote my undergrad thesis on electoral reform options for Canada.
(Single Transferable Vote FTW!)

The last couple years I've been on some municipal policy advisory
boards here in Brantford as well as helping with various non-profits
and grassroots initiatives which I won't go into detail about here,
but somewhere along the line I got introduced to Mark Kuznicki's work
with TransitCamp and Metronauts (and became a Metronaut myself) and
got sucked into the world of wonderful collaboration that Twitter has
become.

And while I've backed away from involvement in federal politics,
seeing more transparency and sustainable systems thinking in
government is a real passion for me, and I believe that new methods
for aggregating political will through technology are one of the
greatest hopes we have for improving Canada's governance, and our
effect on the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, I have a wedding on Jan 24, so I won't be at the event,
but hopefully there will be follow-ups, and certainly I intend on
being part of this conversation, regardless.

klui...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2009, 4:55:04 PM1/20/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi everyone!

I'm Kelvin, an engineering student at U of T, unfortunately that
doesn't leave me with too much time to do the awesome things that
people who posted before me have done (until I graduate).

I'm currently involved with Engineers Without Borders Canada - U of T
chapter (www.ewb.ca) and Endeavor Volunteer Consulting Network
(www.evcn.ca).

I'm interested in learning about how to use different communication
methods (not restricted to just online communication) to mobilize
students and engage them in different causes and current, especially
targeted towards the U of T audience to dis-spell the perception that
we are merely a "study school".

I've heard about ChangeCamp actually from the "unconference"
advertisement on the MaRS Blog, and is excited about this.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this "unconference"though as
the Engineers Without Borders Canada's National Conference falls on
the same weekend. But I'll love to be involved in future
opportunities and will be following the wiki page closely.

citymark

Jan 22, 2009, 10:44:13 AM1/22/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm Mark, and I only just heard about Change Camp earlier this week
from @christaggart through Twitter. Sounds like a great event, so I
picked up a ticket this morning, and I'll be driving down from Ottawa
Friday afternoon.

I work for the City of Ottawa in our e-Media division - a team formed
last summer to guide the strategic directions of our public website
www.ottawa.ca and our Intranet site from a departmental communications
perspective. One of my keen areas of interest is social media, and
I've been working hard to introduce people to social media platforms
and more open and transparent business processes that are enabled
through web 2.0 tools. We've done some very interesting things at the
City in the past few months, which I'll be speaking about at the
upcoming ALI Social Media & Government conference in Ottawa (Feb 11).

In the late 90's I worked for the International Development Research
Centre (IDRC), working to help the development aid community
collaborate more effectively through the use of Internet
technologies. This was pre web 2.0 era, and we worked on some pretty
amazing projects to connect groups working on similar development aid
initiatives through web-based tools and human behavioral processes
(some knowledge sharing work). One of my lead projects was Dgroups
(founded on the e-Groups idea, which later became Yahoo Groups), for
which I created the initial code base, and then later moved to the
project management, partnership development, and strategic process
administration side of things.

I'm looking forward to sharing some ideas about more open, transparent
and collaborative governance, and how government bodies can do a more
effective and efficient job through engaging the public as
contributors and partners in governance processes. There's a lot of
great things happening out there, and I'm keen to learn from others
and bring some new ideas back to the City.

Cheers! Mark

Jason Diceman

Jan 22, 2009, 12:07:39 PM1/22/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Howdy all

I'm Jason Diceman (www.jasondiceman.ca), a stakeholder engagement
consultant with www.lura.ca in Toronto.

My background is in open source web development for NGOs, but I have
transitioned to full time work on off-line public engagement.

To be lazy, here is a snippet from my C.V. ...how impersonal, I
know ;-)

Jason works to empower citizen sector organizations with simple
methods for facilitating constructive consultation, deliberation and
decision-making among their many diverse stakeholders. He assists in
the planning and implementation of large participatory meetings that
lead to clear outputs, the design of affordable and effective
community engagement processes and the selection and set-up of easy to
use Internet tool sets.

Along with having a full knowledge of various engagement
methodologies, Jason has created his own innovative paper based
Advanced Dotmocracy (www.dotmocracy.org) materials and techniques for
conducting efficient polling and participatory decision-making within
large numbers of people in a variety of face-to-face and out of
meeting environments.

Jason has presented workshops across Canada and the USA, researched
consensus cultures in eco-villages in Denmark and spent six months in
Venezuela investigating their evolving participatory democracy.

Jason works full-time for Lura Consulting, and volunteers as a board
member of the Canadian Community for Dialogue and Deliberation (C2D2).
He is also an active member of both the National Coalition for
Dialogue & Deliberation, and the International Association for Public
Participation, and a certified National Issues Forums moderator.

Rohan Jayasekera

Jan 23, 2009, 8:07:01 PM1/23/09
to chang...@googlegroups.com
I'd neglected to re-introduce myself following the creation of the Google Group, so here goes.

I've been fortunate enough to be online since the 1970s, and have long viewed the online world as a tremendous force for individual empowerment.  My professional background is in software product development, and in 1995 I co-founded Sympatico (hence my easy-to-remember email address), the world's first easy-to-use Internet service.  I was very excited by the arrival of Web 2.0, when the Web started to become individually-powered rather than just organizationally-powered.  Now the Obama campaign has clearly shown what is possible when power is distributed directly to people instead of relying on representation by hierarchy, something that was only made possible by a ubiquitous and decentralized Internet.  I'm all about getting technology into the hands of the masses and have no interest in creating things for geeks (even though I could be classified as one myself -- though not as a pure geek since, for instance, I've also been trained as a Gestalt psychotherapist).

I see the work of this group as appealing to both "left" and "right" people, which is important to me as my political leanings are atypical for this group (my philosophy is "right-wing means for left-wing ends").  I look forward to ChangeCamp tomorrow!

Peter

Jan 27, 2009, 7:41:16 AM1/27/09
to ChangeCamp Canada
Hello ChangeCamp,

I watched some of the YouTube videos on the 24th meetings. Pretty
amazing stuff you all discussed. I live on the west coast of Canada.
Bowen Island, an hour from downtown Vancouver. That puts me in the BC-
West Vancouver - Sunshine Coast - Sea to Sky Country electoral
district. We also have a small municipal gov't on Bowen Island. The
first incorporated island within the Georgia strait's islands trust.
I'm mostly interested in platforms to enable transparency. I think
this is very important. I have a strong tech background with many
years of slinging code, though, after 18 years I find myself doing
more enterprise architecture and strategy work now. I'm currently
assisting Continuing Legal Education BC introduce social media and
open source approaches into building online learning (or Communities
of Practice) for BC legal community. I am also very involved with
WikiEducator as a content contributor and as a council member... I'm
looking forward to participating in this change... If you want to know
more about me check out my links or google me; Peter Rawsthorne

http://www.rawsthorne.org
http://criticaltechnology.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/prawsthorne
http://wikieducator.org/User:Prawstho
http://www.linkedin.com/in/prawsthorne

I'll probably lurk in this group for a while as I become familiar...
Though I have many skills with software development (I'm resurrecting
my coding skills with PhP & MySQL) so let me know how I can help.

Sincerely, Peter

On Dec 31 2008, 8:07 am, Mark Kuznicki <mark.kuzni...@gmail.com>

John Baxter

Apr 30, 2013, 11:59:08 PM4/30/13
to chang...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm John, in Adelaide, SA, Australia.  I was put onto ChangeCamp by Amelia Loye in Sydney.  We were talking about my main civic project, CoCreate Adelaide.

CoCreate Adelaide is similarly about providing better spaces in between government institutions and people - promoting better relationships, and in particular, better opportunities for people to take action on the things they care about.

Our first event was 13 April just passed, and it's rapidly growing into a community and a social movement.

Very keen to learn more about ChangeCamp, how you work and your lessons, to pass on our lessons (in time), and explore opportunities to work together.

I'm very intererested in government (as an ex public servant), and ChangeCamp could be a good format for our community to expand beyond being very community-focused to exploring public sector collaboration.  Or... something like that.

Cheers

John Baxter

Mary Francoli