Using phone instead of dongle - Bounty

vijay ramnarine

Sep 10, 2018, 3:47:41 PM9/10/18
to dongle
Some samsung phones show up as  USB modem and can be dialed via usb
I would like to use phones instead of dongles. Who is interested in doing this project?

Adrian Sandu

Sep 10, 2018, 6:52:07 PM9/10/18
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
Just because it has a modem and can be used to dial-up connections
doesn't mean it exposes a voice channel.
Doubt it works that way.

Alejandro Donato

Sep 10, 2018, 7:19:48 PM9/10/18
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
Your goal can't be achieved with this project.

There's anothers (using bluetooth ie, even asterisk has bluetooth
channel) or maybe managing modem access via android itself.

Vijay Ramnarine

Sep 10, 2018, 7:56:39 PM9/10/18
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
I know someone who is currently using it to dial out  but in windows.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "dongle" group.

Alejandro Donato

Sep 10, 2018, 8:13:07 PM9/10/18
to chan_...@googlegroups.com

Dial out or SMS is not the same that open an audio channel.

This project works on dongles directly opening an audio channel via the modem.

Phones dont allow that in this way, for security reasons.

Can be achieved, for sure, but no with chan dongle.

( some old info at https://www.elastix.org/community/threads/mobile-phone-as-gsm-trunk.37241/ )

In an old time, i use chan_mobile. It works, but bluetooth is not the best link when you have a bunch of phones on it. Even latency was awfull.

Some phones can convert USB port in an audio device (ie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgNl051jm2Y )

But not all. Try it.

If you need more info, ask me in private.

Pol Isidor

Feb 25, 2019, 1:14:46 PM2/25/19
to dongle
Btw..it is really strange that no one made some patch/modifcation to be able to connect android phone with asterisk and use it instead of some dongle..
Strange..

Marco Gaiarin

Feb 25, 2019, 3:10:16 PM2/25/19
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
Mandi! Pol Isidor
In chel di` si favelave...

> Btw..it is really strange that no one made some patch/modifcation to be able to
> connect android phone with asterisk and use it instead of some dongle..
> Strange..

It is called 'chan_mobile':

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Introduction+to+the+Mobile+Channel
https://www.voip-info.org/chanmobile/