usb hub with 7 ports

Adrian P

Jan 20, 2020, 1:47:37 PM1/20/20
to dongle
Hello,
Any of you worked with specific usb hub 7 ports usb 2.0 on/off power switch per port with good results?
Did anyone used this type usb hub ?
I need a usb
Thank you
Adrian

Emiliano Vazquez

Jan 23, 2020, 9:40:00 AM1/23/20
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian.

In my little experience i did not find any hub for this work. You can have 7 ports with 7 dongles and you can recognize them but when you put this seven dongles to work the power consumption will be more and then the fails come up.
This modems will work if you use them only to send and receive SMS but with calls it get more difficult.

The main problem is the poor components on this hubs. You need a lot of Watts to get it working all day.

Best regards.

Emiliano.

Pol Isidor

Jan 23, 2020, 11:24:49 PM1/23/20
to dongle
Hello..
I'm using this hub with 3 modem with orange PI and it working nicely.
Only thing what I did is that I put my power source and keeping with DC2DC booster 5.2V on ports.
Power supplay is strong ~5A (shared with other devices)

Pol Isidor

Adrian P

Jan 24, 2020, 6:07:15 AM1/24/20
to chan_...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Of course I will use it with a power supply 5V 2,5-3,0A.
I will buy this usb hub from aliexpress and test it with 7 dongles with simultaneous gsm calls.
I will return with feedback.
Thanks
Adrian

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/chan_dongle/29678548-b1ed-4944-b110-8ddd221da0ea%40googlegroups.com.

--
Adrian Padureanu

Alejandro Donato

Jan 24, 2020, 9:12:02 AM1/24/20
to chan_...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

My 2 cents.

Modems in IDLE status, consume about 0.05 Amperes. In a SMS transaction, go up to ~0.10A. In a call, about 0.30A. So, to calculate the power needed to provide a stable operation its easy.

8 dongles in calll, uses about 2,4a. Power supplies not always acomplish with specs, so, double it. With a 5A power supply, and with no signal issues, all must work fine.

Thats why external power supply is needed (onboard usb ports only provide 0.5A max by spec)

So, get an external powered USB hub, or feed them in the 5v line with an external power supply (dont forget to common ground all to avoid damage)

Failling to do this, generates random inestability in the whole hub (modems hanged by underpower, etc)

Enjoy!

Alejandro