Most shocking aspect of Liz's childhood

Chambers County Reads

Apr 2, 2015, 10:15:09 AM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com

There are plenty of atrocious aspects to Liz's childhood - the hunger so painful she ate Chap Stick and toothpaste, the lice she had for month

the stopped-up, putrid-smelling bathroom and consequent lack of personal hygiene, the sleep deprivation, watching her parents use drugs

daily,being left alone with a child molester, the HIV-positive blood splattered on the kitchen walls and counters, even their pack of Wonder bread,

etc. Was there an aspect you were most taken aback by?

Message has been deleted

gledoux1967

Apr 2, 2015, 2:02:58 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
Terrible how many kids today are neglected.

Alicia Brooks

Apr 2, 2015, 2:06:04 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
Gives me nightmares to think children really do live in these conditions.

Chambers County Reads

Apr 2, 2015, 2:09:01 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am excited to continue reading about how she pulled herself out of this situation.

Chambers County Reads

Apr 2, 2015, 2:11:20 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Alicia... I have come across a few students with bad situations (not as bad as Liz Murray's), but I struggle with knowing how I can help them.

mrs.kellierogers

Apr 2, 2015, 2:27:10 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
As I read this book, it makes me more conscious about the stories of my students outside of school. Sometimes we forget that school is a safe place and that they enjoy being here because they do not have struggles to survive on the same level that they do in their personal lives. I hope by learning about Liz Murray that I will be more conscious of the whole child as I focus on helping them become better readers!

Chambers County Reads

Apr 2, 2015, 3:13:56 PM4/2/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Kellie! I find that these children look to us (teachers, coaches, etc.) for reassurance and as role models. I'd like to learn about more local resources to help children in need. In a case like Liz's, besides reporting to Child Protective Services, what can we do to help?

mrs.kellierogers

Apr 6, 2015, 7:30:36 PM4/6/15
to chambers-county-reads-dis...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking a lot about that question Lisa. I am becoming more aware of the mindset of some of my students who seemed a lot more adult than typical kids their age. I know that school is sometimes not an important part of their day because survival is in the forefront of their minds. I am very proud of our school for meeting some of these needs they have such as Betty backpacks on the weekends, counseling services, and mentors from throughout the community. I think we are headed in the right direction.