TTY management patch.

Gilboa Davara

Jun 1, 2017, 3:26:02 AM6/1/17
to Devel CGDB
Hello Bob,

First of all Congrats for the release!
I'm currently in the process of pushing 0.7 into the Fedora and EPEL
repositories.
There was talk somewhere about a patch that restores some of the
deprecated TTY functionality by yielding the TTY to the debugged
program following a key-combination.

Is this patch available somewhere?
At least in my use case (and the other cgdb users around me)
some-type-of-TTY management is imperative.

Thanks,
- Gilboa

Robert Rossi

Jun 1, 2017, 10:31:16 PM6/1/17
to cgdb...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 1, 2017, Gilboa Davara <gil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Bob,

First of all Congrats for the release!
I'm currently in the process of pushing 0.7 into the Fedora and EPEL
repositories.

Wow, thanks.

There was talk somewhere about a patch that restores some of the
deprecated TTY functionality by yielding the TTY to the debugged
program following a key-combination.

I guess I should think about this a bit more.

Just curious, do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Is this patch available somewhere?
At least in my use case (and the other cgdb users around me)
some-type-of-TTY management is imperative.

I got a surprising amount of feedback regarding this.

Maybe I'll just add back what was there, and then
Replace instead of remove?

Thanks,
Bob rossi

Gilboa Davara

Jun 3, 2017, 10:39:38 AM6/3/17
to Devel CGDB
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Robert Rossi <b...@brasko.net> wrote:
> Wow, thanks.

No problem.
I already maintain 0.6.X for the past gazillion years.
(Even contributed a couple of small patches two billions years ago...)

> I guess I should think about this a bit more.
>
> Just curious, do you have any thoughts on the subject?
> I got a surprising amount of feedback regarding this.
>
> Maybe I'll just add back what was there, and then
> Replace instead of remove?

I must admit that both my users and I really liked the old TTY mode
and found it *very* useful.
We can settle for a 'send-tty-input-to-child' mode, but its far less
capable than the old TTY mode.

> Thanks,
> Bob rossi

Thanks again for a great piece of software.

- Gilboa

Robert Rossi

Jun 4, 2017, 7:15:23 AM6/4/17
to cgdb...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Gilboa Davara <gil...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Robert Rossi <b...@brasko.net> wrote:

> I guess I should think about this a bit more.
>
> Just curious, do you have any thoughts on the subject?
> I got a surprising amount of feedback regarding this.
>
> Maybe I'll just add back what was there, and then
> Replace instead of remove?

I must admit that both my users and I really liked the old TTY mode
and found it *very* useful.
We can settle for a 'send-tty-input-to-child' mode, but its far less
capable than the old TTY mode.

Yeah, I think a lot more people used that mode than I realized.

I'm going to try to add the functionality back (or equivalent) in and release a .7.1.

I won't be able to get to this for several weeks though.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

Gilboa Davara

Jun 11, 2017, 6:36:05 AM6/11/17
to Devel CGDB
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply (vacation :)).
If its all the same to you, I'll wait with the release until the TTY mode is back.

Let me know if you need beta testers...

- Gilboa

Gilboa Davara

Sep 1, 2017, 5:10:30 AM9/1/17