Blog about Cfwheels Testing

michael....@heureka.com

May 4, 2021, 5:33:27 AM5/4/21
to CFWheels
Hi,

These are some valid points i think for my self, cfwheels could do better.

Will someone take care of these points?

Cheers,

Michael

Tom King

May 4, 2021, 6:08:09 AM5/4/21
to CFWheels
I'm certainly aware, and I don't think it was a particularly kind article. Wheels has always been a small community driven project, and of course there's massive room for improvement in all aspects, particularly unit testing, flexibility and construction of internals, and major deficiencies in the ORM. It's very easy to say "it should be like this, this is shit". It's more difficult to say, "I'll take responsibility, step up and fix it."

I think what we need is a concrete wheels 3.x roadmap which will inevitably bring in a LOT of breaking changes. There's still stuff in the internals which caters for older versions of ACF, and really, I want to:
 - completely re-organise and make it modular, especially with mapping the wheels folder outside of webroot, seperate out config, public assets etc.
-  have testbox replace rocketunit
-  have quick replace the ORM or at least provide as an alternative.

That alone would break every wheels app out there, and be an enormous amount of work. But it's the way forward, probably. The other alternative is re-invent wheels so it's a bunch of coldbox modules, taking the bits we like about wheels and making them work in that context.