quick track changes/history

Mike Henke

Mar 2, 2010, 11:07:18 AM3/2/10
to ColdFusion on Wheels
Is there a quick way, I could track changes to records using "Object
Callbacks"?

I was thinking of copying the current record before saving and setting
it as a "soft delete", then updating the current record with the
change. I could use the beforeSave().

Anyone think of any problems with this or a better way?

Mike Henke

Mar 2, 2010, 11:09:54 AM3/2/10
to ColdFusion on Wheels
Anyone use this plugin?

Log User Actions http://cfwheels.org/plugins/listing/12

Andy Bellenie

Mar 2, 2010, 11:11:10 AM3/2/10
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
I wrote it ages ago. It probably needs an update but been too busy as
the way it works isn't ideal.

On 2 March 2010 16:09, Mike Henke <henk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone use this plugin?
>
> Log User Actions http://cfwheels.org/plugins/listing/12

Mike Henke

Mar 2, 2010, 11:13:55 AM3/2/10
to ColdFusion on Wheels
Maybe I can fix it up, what isn't ideal the way it works?

Andy Bellenie

Mar 2, 2010, 11:21:36 AM3/2/10
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
I wrote it before I had any idea what I was doing with Wheels. I'm not
sure exactly what I'd do to improve it right now but if you need it
quickly I'll sort it out over the next couple of days.

On 2 March 2010 16:13, Mike Henke <henk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I can fix it up, what isn't ideal the way it works?

Mike Henke

Mar 2, 2010, 11:25:44 AM3/2/10
to ColdFusion on Wheels
Sure that sounds great. Is the code on github so I can help?

Andy Bellenie

Mar 2, 2010, 11:27:53 AM3/2/10
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
http://github.com/andybellenie/cfwheels-log-user-actions

my other preview plugins are up there too. damn i really need to release these.

On 2 March 2010 16:25, Mike Henke <henk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure that sounds great.  Is the code on github so I can help?

Andy Bellenie

Mar 2, 2010, 11:44:14 AM3/2/10
to cfwh...@googlegroups.com
Mike, I want to completely rewrite that. It's awful. Shouldn't take
very long but needs doing.

Mike Henke

Mar 2, 2010, 12:55:30 PM3/2/10
to ColdFusion on Wheels
I wouldn't worry to much :-) It seems to work fine. I'll work on
beforeUpdate() call to copy the current record and stash it somewhere
for auditing Ideally I should probably have a separate history table
but might try to keep it all in one table for simplicity.