Tomcat/Lucee/Apache/Mura on El Capitan

Marc Funaro

May 4, 2016, 9:03:46 PM5/4/16
to cfu...@googlegroups.com

I’ve started over in my attempt to get a CF engine running on my Mac.  So far I have followed the instructions from the Lucee website:

http://docs.lucee.org/guides/running-lucee/osx/installing-tomcat-and-lucee-on-os-x-using-the-lucee-war-file.html

And I have access to the Tomcat manager, the Lucee server context admin and the website context admin for localhost, and I can view the starter page at

http://localhost:8080/

I have downloaded mura and placed it in /users/marc/sites/www-murademo-dev

And created an entry in my hosts file pointing www-murademo-dev to 127.0.0.1

But I can’t seem to figure out how to set up this configuration so that I can have multiple websites that act as if they are live, but using my HOSTS file to serve them.  I wanted to start with this Mura install, but I’d even settle for an index.cfm file with Now() in it, if it were running inside its own website context completely.  =)

Any takers?

Marc

Pete Freitag

May 5, 2016, 11:28:14 AM5/5/16
to cfu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc,

The instructions you followed will work fine for one virtual host, but if you want to add more you need to edit your tomcat server.xml file and add more <Host> entries for each virtual host (or you can use mod_cfml and connect to apache).

The Host tag might look like this, it goes inside the Engine tag:

<Host name="example.com" appBase="webapps">
  <Context path="" docBase="/www/example.com/wwwroot/" />
</Host>

But the what I do for running Lucee on Mac is use commandbox. Once you download the "box" executable you just open up terminal and do this:

cd /path/to/wwwwroot/
box server start port=8081
You will have each server running on a different port, but it is SUPER easy to spin up an arbitrary server in any directory using this method. You also don't need to edit your /etc/hosts file.

If you really wanted to you could setup Apache or nginx to proxy a hostname example.com to point to one of the ports.

--
Pete Freitag
https://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products

Marc Funaro

May 5, 2016, 11:37:40 AM5/5/16
to cfu...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Pete,

I am pretty far down the route of setting up Apache2 which was already on the mac of course, and adding hosts files to the tomcat server.xml file seems to be the way to go.  I am also using an app called VirtualHostX which makes adding virtual hosts to Apache very easy.

Adding the additional hosts to server.xml did the trick, as I had already found the means to connect apache to tomcat overnight.

It sounds like my configuration is closest to what a standard production environment would be (??), which is always my goal… I hate surprises when I take a working app and dump it into the datacenter and suddenly it… “can’t even.”  LOL

I am really (really) liking how Lucee has a separate web admin for each site!  The combination of Lucee with Mura… I feel like I’ve been coding in the stone ages for at least a couple years now… both have matured, and fairly quickly!!

Marc Funaro

Advantex LLC

607-336-6895