Free CF Editor?

Steel Valor

Dec 22, 2015, 9:51:31 AM12/22/15
to Central New York ColdFusion Users Group
So I'm on Windows 10 now and Adobe CC is buggy as all 3 Alien movies combine.

What is everyone using? Links?

Shawn

Dec 22, 2015, 10:43:49 AM12/22/15
to cfu...@googlegroups.com
I use sublime text with the cf plugin.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Steel Valor <steel...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I'm on Windows 10 now and Adobe CC is buggy as all 3 Alien movies combine.

What is everyone using? Links?

Shawn M. Ortis
CEO
Ravenmoon Designs
www.ravenmoon-designs.com
sh...@ravenmoon-designs.com
315.368.5229

"Vedar-Gal Tiekals Somdus Azerate!"

Pete Freitag

Dec 22, 2015, 11:11:10 AM12/22/15
to cfu...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Steel Valor <steel...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I'm on Windows 10 now and Adobe CC is buggy as all 3 Alien movies combine.

What is everyone using? Links?

There is no perfect CF editor, or generally agreed upon editor (except maybe Allaire ColdFusion Studio :) - everyone is different and prefers different things about editors so I would try each one for a day or more and see what you like.

I currently use Sublime Text 3 (http://www.sublimetext.com/3) with this plugin for CFML: https://github.com/jcberquist/sublimetext-lucee (it works great for Adobe CF even though it says Lucee) that plugin requires Sublime Text 3 dev build 3092+ so you have to buy a license for Sublime Text in order to try this one.

Prior to that I used Sublime Text 2 (http://www.sublimetext.com/) with this plugin: https://github.com/SublimeText/ColdFusion as you can see that plugin is not updated like the one I am currently using, but it does work well.

Next there is Atom editor: https://atom.io/ and the CFML plugin for that is here: https://github.com/atuttle/atom-language-cfml I have not tried this one in a while but it was pretty good last I tried it and is updated frequently with improvements. This editor and plugin are 100% free and open source.

Prior to switching to Sublime Text I used CFBuilder: http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion-builder.html it has a ton of nice features but I was experiencing some issues with it (I was using version 2, and version 3 has been out for quite some time). This editor is based on Eclipse which can feel slow and chunky at times, that was another factor in switching, both Sublime and Atom are very fast and lightweight, but have less features overall. CF Builder is a paid product, but it has a free mode that it reverts to after 30 or 60 days or something like that which still has most of the editor features enabled.

Prior to CFBuilder I used CFEclipse, which had not been updated in several years, but has recently (within the last month or two) picked up activity and released an update: http://cfeclipse.org/

And prior to CFEclipse -- Allaire ColdFusion Studio!!

There are other editors that support CFML: http://carehart.org/cf411/#editors as well, but the most popular choices are all listed above (except Dreamweaver which a lot of folks still use).

--
Pete Freitag
https://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products

Jim Thomson

Dec 22, 2015, 11:17:05 AM12/22/15
to cfu...@googlegroups.com
I was putting together a similar email but Shawn and  Pete have everything and more so I'll just say I've used Sublime as for the last 3 years or so and I can't ever remember it crashing. Beyond that it's cross platform which is why I used it initially.

     There is no perfect CF editor, or generally agreed upon editor (except maybe Allaire ColdFusion Studio :)

I would still use CF Studio now if I could!

Jim

Dec 22, 2015, 11:29:04 AM12/22/15
to Central New York ColdFusion Users Group
Thanks!

Charlie Arehart

Dec 22, 2015, 1:42:49 PM12/22/15
to cfu...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Pete. Thanks first for the shout out on my list, and I have updated it to add Atom (I’d not had that), and the Lucee plugin for Sublime 3.

Second, while I do indeed list many more, and not all are very popular :-), I would make a friendly contention that may not have listed *all* of  “the most popular choices”, at least in that I see very many people using NotePad++ (as I do myself), which is entirely free and also has  CFML support (which is decent). :-)

Indeed, note that while you listed the link to my category of editors (in general), I do have a specific subcategory of editors with CFML support, and there are 18 (which may amaze some, many with recent CFML support updates). See:

http://carehart.org/cf411/#editcf

(or a perhaps easier domain and more SES-friendly URL format: http://www.cf411.com/editcf which redirects to that anchor.)

I have also just checked all 18 and now mark on that list the latest date that CFML support was updated, at least as of today. :-) I check that list every several months or so.

/charlie