local development on a mac

1 view

Josh V

Jun 27, 2007, 3:09:30 PM6/27/07
to Central Florida PHP
how do i go about setting a local server up on my macbook? apache, php
and mysql is basically all im looking for. if i wanted, could i access
my local server running on my pc and just develop on my mac? how do
you guys have your systems set up?

teegaw

Jun 27, 2007, 9:53:15 PM6/27/07
to Central Florida PHP
I have my powerbook set up with MAMP http://www.mamp.info/en/home.php.
It is an all in one installer that does all the work for you, works
great. I will warn you, you may feel a little less of a man by using
the installer, and not doing a manual install. :), but it gets the job
done. You can also get a MAMP Widget for turning the server off and
on. A head's up on MAMP. I'm not big on reading directions, so when
you install MAMP you have to put all your site files(any files that
you are developing) in the MAMP htdocs folder. and then browse to
http://localhost:8888/ to view them. I sure you can configure all of
that how you want, but I didn't really have a use to do that and, it
kinda defeats the purpose of using an all-in-one installer.

I wanted to get nerd out on my PC, so I did a manual install of all
the goodness(Apache, PHP, MySQL). I will say, that is a really great
thing to do, knowing more about what is going on with the
configuration of a server has helped me fix problems when I'm
developing many a time. Also you can get the man points back after
using the installer on the MAC.

I sometimes use my PC as just a server and use my MAC to do all my
developing. Just plop on the files on the PC server, set up any
databased on it as well, and then open up a network connection to the
Ole' Windows Warrior. That works really well for quick and easy cross
platform/browser testing. You can also port forward your router to
direct all the web traffic to your IP to the development server which
is great if you need to have other machines test a site.

Word to your mother

Josh V

Jun 28, 2007, 3:35:16 PM6/28/07
to Central Florida PHP
teegaw, more like on the ball. thanks man, that was about as easy as
it gets. any chance you know how to set permissions on a folder inside
my document root. cant figure that out.

On Jun 27, 9:53 pm, teegaw <Lemagicbul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have my powerbook set up with MAMPhttp://www.mamp.info/en/home.php.

> It is an all in one installer that does all the work for you, works
> great. I will warn you, you may feel a little less of a man by using
> the installer, and not doing a manual install. :), but it gets the job
> done. You can also get a MAMP Widget for turning the server off and
> on. A head's up on MAMP. I'm not big on reading directions, so when
> you install MAMP you have to put all your site files(any files that

> you are developing) in the MAMP htdocs folder. and then browse tohttp://localhost:8888/to view them. I sure you can configure all of

Mike G.

Jun 29, 2007, 9:10:42 AM6/29/07
to Central Florida PHP
1. Select the folder
2. CMD + i to get info
3. Toggle: Ownership & Permissions > Details
4. Set others to Read & Write

Or if you're really cool, you'll use the Mac Terminal:

# cd /path/to/your/document/root
# chmod 777 uploads