The CFPHP Website

Mike G.

Aug 27, 2007, 7:28:54 PM8/27/07
to Central Florida PHP
Greetings Developers,

I've been planning a re-launch of our beloved website for quite some
time now and I think that it is time that we start seriously planning
some of the tools we would like to implement in the next iteration.

Here are the features I put my vote in for. Please let me know what
you think.

1. A talk suggestion box -- maybe even with a digg style voting
system?
2. A real calendar -- with ical and rss subscriptions
3. Better discussion via a forum -- possibly Vanilla?
4. Job boards -- post or request work
5. Talk archive -- with transcript, slides, and code download
6. Links -- This could just be a sidebar, too

Ryan Price

Aug 27, 2007, 8:51:26 PM8/27/07
to cf...@googlegroups.com
On events, I highly recommend Yahoo's Upcoming.org - they have a PHP5
API available - there must be some implementations out there that
will let you post the events on your site and show the number of
people attending. All that's needed is a Yahoo! ID, and it has
friends, groups, RSS/iCal/yahoo/google/outlook friendly feeds. They
also attempt to auto-discover events, but I'm not sure how.

I think it would be neat if the talk suggestions are the same as the
page for the talk archive after it's done, like where you post the
slides, and people can ask related questions...? Like an soon to be/
already happened queue.

I have a lead on job boards that I'm not allowed to discuss here,
since it gets indexed by Google, but there might be an interesting
development with that soon.

I'd think links page over a huge sidebar would be better - still do a
few there. I also want to have neat stuff on the new Florida
Creatives wiki.

I think I'm going to be a PHP guy for a long time, so I'd love to see
some great resources for local developers.

Peace,
Ryan Price
FloridaCreatives.com

Michael Girouard

Aug 29, 2007, 2:23:16 AM8/29/07
to cf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input Ryan.

I checked out the Upcoming API and looks pretty mature. I don't see any reason not to take advantage of that. I signed up for the developer key and am in the process of fleshing out a simple library to handle the communication between sites.

Having a single "Talks" page which combines the suggestions and archives sounds like a good idea too. That's some good IA.

Cheers,
Mike G.

twin...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2007, 10:50:42 AM8/29/07
to Central Florida PHP
Here is an example of a hugely successful user group site
http://indesignusergroup.com/.

The new Central Florida PHP site should have:
* An about us section
* Meeting RSVP?
* Google Maps API - Meeting/Event Location
* 1024px width
* New home page

I really like the idea of having a talk suggestion box with the digg
style voting system. Forums, I think, are a must. I don't think we
need anything fancy either, just a vanilla forum that looks nice.
Please, no WYSIWYG editor. A real calendar would be cool too.

The home page should have a collection of all these things. It
shouldn't just be a blog anymore. On the home page I'd like to see:
* Recent Discussions (from the Forum)
* Next meeting date/time/location/subject prominently displayed at the
top of the page
* The calendar
* A real space for the sponsors
* The blog

Lets get crackin' and make this happen.

Ryan Price

Aug 29, 2007, 2:07:01 PM8/29/07
to cf...@googlegroups.com
Ha! We can do 1024px because we know the audience. I like it. Also no
wysiwyg,

If we have upcoming, it might be easier to use yahoo maps, that also
takes care of RSVP... does yahoo have an OpenID yet? I know they let
you bake the yahoo id into your system if you want, but that's not
the same.

Peace,
Ryan Price
floridacreatives.com
ryanpricemedia.com

Michael Girouard

Aug 29, 2007, 6:18:12 PM8/29/07
to cf...@googlegroups.com
I have no problem with the 1024 layout -- I still see no reason why a fluid one couldn't allow even an 800px viewport to render the content well, but I really don't care about those people anymore anyway.

WYSIWYG anything causes more problems than solutions, that won't even be considered.

Maps are definitely a plus. I'm tired of having to copy and paste the map URL every time I announce a new event.

All of Tom's other suggestions are right on, too. I especially like the ideas for the home page. The blog is nice, but we've exhausted it's usefulness and it's time we make the page more functional.

Great ideas guys, lets keep them coming!
--
Mike Geee!

Josh V

Aug 30, 2007, 2:14:10 PM8/30/07
to Central Florida PHP
yes, i hate designing for 800x, so in a situation where my primary
audience will be the 'web savvy', i get excited about 1024x. do that
up for sure! but keeping with the liquid layout, you could define a
max-width to keep columns from getting to wide. for readability
purposes of course. but, IE...dumb.

i like the idea of having all the information i need, or would be
looking for, right at my fingertips, 0, maybe 1 click away. maps,
links, addresses, latest forum posts...all on the home page.

also, something that i like doing with calenders or dates, is
displaying them in relative terms. it seems faster form me to look at
a date(upcoming event or a blog post) and understand when it is, when
its relative to "NOW". gives me a better visual. so when looking at a
calendar, i can see the next event is coming in 16 days, not Sept.
28th.

maybe a section for submitting links, kinda like a delicious built in
to the site. if you find an interesting article or technique, you can
post the link for eveyone to follow if they so choose.

like what im seeing here!

On Aug 29, 6:18 pm, "Michael Girouard" <mgirou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no problem with the 1024 layout -- I still see no reason why a fluid
> one couldn't allow even an 800px viewport to render the content well, but I
> really don't care about those people anymore anyway.
>
> WYSIWYG anything causes more problems than solutions, that won't even be
> considered.
>
> Maps are definitely a plus. I'm tired of having to copy and paste the map
> URL every time I announce a new event.
>
> All of Tom's other suggestions are right on, too. I especially like the
> ideas for the home page. The blog is nice, but we've exhausted it's
> usefulness and it's time we make the page more functional.
>
> Great ideas guys, lets keep them coming!
>
> On 8/29/07, Ryan Price < rpr...@ryanpricemedia.com> wrote:
>

> > Ha! We can do 1024px because we know the audience. I like it. Also no
> > wysiwyg,
>
> > If we have upcoming, it might be easier to use yahoo maps, that also
> > takes care of RSVP... does yahoo have an OpenID yet? I know they let
> > you bake the yahoo id into your system if you want, but that's not
> > the same.
>
> > Peace,
> > Ryan Price
> > floridacreatives.com
> > ryanpricemedia.com
>

> mgirou...@gmail.com

Ryan Price

Aug 30, 2007, 2:44:22 PM8/30/07
to cf...@googlegroups.com
Instead of built in bookmarks, you should just use real live
delicious or magnolia, which is oh-so-nice. New stuff shows up in
real time, and when I use the feeds on my sites, people think I am
featuring them, but I'm just publishing my magnolia feed.

Magnolia is cool because they're not tagging nerds. They use tags,
but they also use 5-star ratings and... groups! I think groups are
mega-useful for organizing bookmarks.

Fuzzy dates are cool, but shouldn't be the only thing available.
Maybe this is a good time to flex our Microformats muscles for people
who've installed the Tails plugin?

Peace,
Ryan Price
FloridaCreatives.com

Josh V

Aug 30, 2007, 3:19:07 PM8/30/07
to Central Florida PHP
i guess my thinking behind the internal bookmarking was so that any
registered user to the site or with certain permissions could post a
link. I've tried googling 'fuzzy dates' to read up on them but was
unable to find anything relating to what i was trying to explain. also
not to familiar with what microformats are although I've briefly
attempted to research. how exactly do these correlate?