Anyone using IDEA 13?

Dave Merrill

Dec 31, 2013, 8:15:28 AM12/31/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
For the first time since I started using IDEA, I didn't get the IDEA 13 upgrade immediately when it came out. That was partly because I was way way too busy before holiday vacation to deal with any possible hiccups, and partly because it's my impression CFML is now such a low priority for JetBrains that there's likely zero progress on that front, and I wanted to (not) put my money where my mouth is, But now I have some time, and I'm sure there are improvements for other languages I work in, so I'm considering it.

Has anyone upgraded? Any major improvements or problems I should be aware of, CFML or not? I don't suppose CF10 is now supported, is it?

Are people still using IDEA for CFML and associated web stuff (JS, CSS, HTML, SQL)? If not, then what? CFB? Sublime?

Thanks,
Dave

Kai Koenig

Dec 31, 2013, 6:39:49 PM12/31/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
From what I can see, there's not a single improvement for the cfml plugin in 13.

For other technologies, there's quite a bit interesting and new stuff in there, but if one is purely using it for CFML and maybe a bit of web stuff, I _personally_ think it's not worthwhile spending money on it.

For CFML I've been using Sublime Text 2 for the last few week and I'm very happy with what it does and how it performs so far.

Cheers
Kai

Dave Merrill

Jan 1, 2014, 8:38:21 AM1/1/14
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your thoughts Kai, pretty much what I figured, unfortunately. It seems harder than I'd hoped for the community to step into a productive role on the plugin, now that it's open source. (That's not a dig at anyone of course, I personally haven't even tried, but then again, I'm weak in Java.)

While I do work in CFML, using IDEA, I spend at least as much of my time with Javascript and other web technologies, as well as SQL, so for me the upgrade is quite likely worthwhile, as long as there aren't new problems in CFML-land. Have you run into any major issues new to 13?

One of the things I really love about IDEA in general is its code navagation, both between and within files. Among other things, the structure view is great for complex js files, and to a lesser extent for CFCs. How is Sublime in that regard? Is its language support, including for CFML, pretty much limited to syntax highlighting, or does it handle completion, and structure-based navigation (go to declaration, navigation to methods declared in an ancestor CFC or in other js files, highlight var usages, etc)?

Thanks again,
Dave

Kai Koenig

Jan 1, 2014, 7:33:12 PM1/1/14
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, yeah - IntelliJ is a great IDE. I currently use it (actually v13) for occasional Clojure and Python coding and for a JS-only project. Have tried the Go plugin, but it doesn't adhere to the Go project structure I'm working with.

Sublime 2 with CFML is essentially a very good text editor with a lot of IDE-like features, it has tag/attribute/function suggestions for built-in CFML. It doesn't really have any structure based navigation though (at least not with the CFML plugin - https://github.com/SublimeText/ColdFusion)

I find it's a nice environment to work in for now - very, very fast, too. Not sure what I'm going to do in the long-run and across the different languages I work in, but so far it's been quite good.

When it comes to the "Open-Source-Ness" of the IntelliJ CFML plugin, I have to unfortunately say (and that's for the Jetbrain's folks in case someone still reads this list) --- it's quite poor to just "dump" the ex-CFML plugin into the community and hope for the best.

Cheers
Kai

One of the things I really love about IDEA in general is its code navagation, both between and within files. Among other things, the structure view is great for complex js files, and to a lesser extent for CFCs. How is Sublime in that regard? Is its language support, including for CFML, pretty much limited to syntax highlighting, or does it handle completion, and structure-based navigation (go to declaration, navigation to methods declared in an ancestor CFC or in other js files, highlight var usages, etc)?

Thanks again,
Dave

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:39:49 PM UTC-5, Kai Koenig wrote:
From what I can see, there's not a single improvement for the cfml plugin in 13.

For other technologies, there's quite a bit interesting and new stuff in there, but if one is purely using it for CFML and maybe a bit of web stuff, I _personally_ think it's not worthwhile spending money on it.

For CFML I've been using Sublime Text 2 for the last few week and I'm very happy with what it does and how it performs so far.

Cheers
Kai

> For the first time since I started using IDEA, I didn't get the IDEA 13 upgrade immediately when it came out. That was partly because I was way way too busy before holiday vacation to deal with any possible hiccups, and partly because it's my impression CFML is now such a low priority for JetBrains that there's likely zero progress on that front, and I wanted to (not) put my money where my mouth is, But now I have some time, and I'm sure there are improvements for other languages I work in, so I'm considering it.
>
> Has anyone upgraded? Any major improvements or problems I should be aware of, CFML or not? I don't suppose CF10 is now supported, is it?
>
> Are people still using IDEA for CFML and associated web stuff (JS, CSS, HTML, SQL)? If not, then what? CFB? Sublime?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
ph: +64 4 889 3626 - mob: +64 21 928 365 /  +61 435 179 091
web: http://www.ventego-creative.co.nz

Blog in Black: http://www.bloginblack.de
2DDU Podcast: http://www.2ddu.com/
Twitter: @AgentK

Mark Mandel

Jan 2, 2014, 6:36:50 PM1/2/14
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm enjoying the 'search everywhere' functionality of IntelliJ 13, as well as the 'navigate to folder'.

The Karma test runner is neat, but funnily enough, I tend to not use it.

Oh and it has a nice new view now where it hides the bottom and side bars, which gives you a bit extra room.

As per the CFML side, I'm also not really doing any CFML anymore, so I'm using it for Clojure (Cursive), LESS, Angular and ClojureScript - and the only gripe I have there is the Clojurescript support in Cursive is not as good as it could be  (yet), but otherwise it's all otherwise great.

Mark