Is it possible to run the CFML plugin without java plugin dependency?

Damon Perron-Laurin

Aug 12, 2013, 9:49:51 AM8/12/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to use cfml support in Webstorm but the plugin wont work since it has dependency with the java plugin (witch is not is only in IntelliJ IDEA ultimate and community).

Is it possible to make the plugin work without the java plugin ? (change plugin.xml?)
I'd like to know before it put 10+ hours in this problem and realize it can't be done.

(or is it possible to install the java plugin in webstorm?)

Thanks in advance :)

Dave Merrill

Aug 12, 2013, 10:41:13 AM8/12/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damon, I'm very much not an expert in either Java or plugin development, but a bit ago, Fedor said this about making the plugin work in the Community edition:
"You can modify the plugin to work with Community Edition but some function won't work(for example sql part because sql plugin depends on Ultimate)."

There was some further discussion about this in that thread, including the fact that, at least at that time, the plugin was temporarily broken in the IDEA 13 EAP, I think, if I understood correctly; not sure if that's fixed now. Doug Hughes was looking into doing some work on it, he might know, if he sees this.

Thread has many msgs, you could start with ones on the 26th if you're specifically interested in modifying the plugin. It's here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cfml-plugin-for-intellij-idea/CGSwIAehKN4

Dave Merrill

Mark Mandel

Aug 12, 2013, 9:19:18 PM8/12/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if the dependency is that a CFML project is a Java project?

There may be more.

First thing to do would be to map out where the dependencies lie.

That all being said, to lay out a $179 (it's on sale atm), could be far more cost effective than spending 10 hours of your time futsing with it.

But to each their own :)

Mark

E: mark....@gmail.com
T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
W: www.compoundtheory.com

2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

Dave Merrill

Aug 13, 2013, 10:37:04 AM8/13/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
From one individual's point of view, sure, but getting the CFML plugin to run on the Community edition would still be a great thing for the CFML community. If it's posisble to do that, even in a somewhat limited form, I'm sure there are people who would like that.

It's much harder to get people to even try it when the IDE iteself costs money, not just initially but every time there's a new major release. Personally, I'm fine with the cost because I love IDEA, for multiple languages, because I live in it every day, but not everyone feels that way. It's possible my feelings about it may change in the future, depending on how well the CFML plugin does now that it's open source. CFML is still one of my primary languages.

Dave Merrill

kenton

Aug 13, 2013, 3:05:13 PM8/13/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com

One of the best parts of the cfml plugin is the java integration, (completion on java objects classes etc) I think tearing them apart will prove difficult

Damon Perron-Laurin

Aug 15, 2013, 9:51:40 AM8/15/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention that I managed to compile a version for IntelliJ Community Edition 13 EAP  (it's in attach file if you want it).

It seem stable for now, but id love to have JS and CSS syntax highlighting and code completion...
CFML-plugin.jar
Message has been deleted

Mark Mandel

Aug 15, 2013, 7:21:35 PM8/15/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
That is a fair point.

Although if you start to go more polyglot, it could be worth the investment.  But YMMV.

Mark

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Damon Perron-Laurin <damonper...@gmail.com> wrote:
I get your point but I'm working for a firm with 50+ Coldfusion developper (therefore we can't use the personal edition :S ).

We need the enterprise edition for everyone (499 * 50 =  $24950), My boss wont pay this price if we can simply use Sublime Text with cfml plugin.

Kai Koenig

Aug 15, 2013, 7:50:49 PM8/15/13
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
It's a quite easy productivity calculation.

If you value your time with $100 ph, are you being 5 hrs more productive with using IntelliJ over IDE xyz?

Not that I'd expect a lot of managers in large corporates to understand when they look at a bill of 50 * $499... but that's nevertheless what it comes down to.

Cheers
Kai