They're working on a CFML debugger!

Dave Merrill

Nov 13, 2012, 9:58:14 AM11/13/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
See here.

It's not done, but seriously, woohoo!

Dave Merrill

Fedor Korotkov

Nov 15, 2012, 11:16:23 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
IntelliJ IDEA 12 EAP 122.813 with Coldfusion Debugger is out!

--
Fedor Korotkov
Java Developer

Doug Hughes

Nov 15, 2012, 11:18:51 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Anyone else having issues with the latest EAP taking forever to load a project?  It's been scanning files here for maybe 20 minutes and the pseudo progress bar is only occasionally moving.

Matt Quackenbush

Nov 15, 2012, 11:25:00 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
No issues here, Doug. Indexing took maybe as long as 30 seconds on a fairly large project.

Kirill Safonov

Nov 15, 2012, 11:25:55 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com

Doug, could you take and attach JVM thread dump? You can use jstack tool from JDK.

Gert Franz

Nov 15, 2012, 11:30:17 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

Is this working with Railo as well? Since if it is based on Fusion Debug it should...

--
Gert Franz
Sent from somewhere with my iPhone

Doug Hughes

Nov 15, 2012, 11:44:56 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
First, I ran ps to get a list of IntelliJ processes running:

51205 ??        33:11.55 /Applications/IntelliJ 12ish.app/Contents/MacOS/idea -psn_0_17740010
51208 ??         0:00.12 /Applications/IntelliJ 12ish.app/bin/fsnotifier

Next I ran jstack on 51205.  The following is the thread dump.

See jstack.txt

Next I ran jstack on 51208.  The following is the result.

Doug-Hughes-Computer:Desktop dhughes$ jstack 51208
51208: Unable to open socket file: target process not responding or HotSpot VM not loaded
The -F option can be used when the target process is not responding

I tried with the -F option and was told this is not supported on OS X.

I've also attached a screenshot.

I waited about 20 minutes for the file scan to finish and decided to move my laptop off of it's external display.  I then walked away for probably 15 minutes (35 total).  This screenshot is - I swear - not photoshopped at all.  See the attached jpg.

I should add that in the time it took me to do the jstack and write this email it has corrected itself and is now displaying the application right side up.

Fun!
jstack.txt
Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 11.34.39 AM.jpeg

Jamie Krug

Nov 15, 2012, 11:52:36 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
@Fedor: I haven't looked yet, but any quick tips we should know about to test drive the CFML debugger?

@Doug: No problems indexing for me. Good luck!

@Gert/@Matt: Hi guys :)

Kirill Safonov

Nov 15, 2012, 11:55:39 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the dump (yes you need only the main process, not the fs notifier). It shows that Tasks integration plugin takes time to read its state. For us to be sure, could you take a couple of consecutive dumps with say 10 seconds delay inbetween while the app is hanging?

Kirill

Edward Beckett

Nov 15, 2012, 11:57:26 AM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
:-) ... That was a wise move for you guys ... I'm sure there will be a lot more serious CF developers taking a hard look at Intellij now ...

With or without the new features Intellij is simply fantastic ...

Doug Hughes

Nov 15, 2012, 12:13:19 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I've attached 5 dumps more than 10 seconds appart.  FYI, right before you sent this message I decided maybe a reboot would fix the issue.  It did not.  These dumps were done post reboot.

If there's anything obvious in here, please let me know.  Like the genius I am I rely on beta software to do my work.
jstack5.txt
jstack4.txt
jstack3.txt
jstack2.txt
jstack1.txt

Fedor Korotkov

Nov 15, 2012, 12:43:05 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
@Gert Haven't checked Railo yet. We have our own debugger implementation. If Railo uses the same debugging protocol as Coldfusion it should work fine. I will check soon.

@Jamie I've implemented some basic functionality. At the moment you have to set debugger port manually with -DDEBUGGER_SERVER_PORT=port JVM option at Coldfusion Administrator. Also you have to start debugger server manually(Debugger Settings -> Start Debugger Server). For details please check documentation(steps 1,2,7)

Best,
Fedor

Doug Hughes

Nov 15, 2012, 12:54:08 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
I had a backup of the EAP from earlier today (pre update). I went back to it and it's working again.  I kept a copy of the updated version if you need me to run any more tests.

Kirill Safonov

Nov 15, 2012, 12:57:51 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com

I’ve looked at the dumps, but there’s nothing suspicious - just normal busy time for the application right after the startup. Could you wait for a couple of minutes since start and take dumps again?

Thanks!

Fedor Korotkov

Nov 15, 2012, 2:20:30 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Debugger isn't working for Railo yet. Please vote for http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-95071

Best,
Fedor

Mark Drew

Nov 15, 2012, 2:58:31 PM11/15/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
If you are reverse engineering the RDS protocol, I should warn you that is a proprietary Adobe protocol, and hence Railo (and other tools) can't use it a far as I am aware about the licensing of that protocol.

So if the answer is *yes*, then I would be rather careful.

Regards

Mark Drew

Railo Technologies Professional Open Source
skype: mark_railo ma...@getrailo.com
+44 7971 852296 http://www.getrailo.com

Dave Merrill

Nov 18, 2012, 11:24:21 AM11/18/12
to CFML plugin for IntelliJ IDEA
Ok, I'm sure this is me being thick, but I haven't been able to get this to work. Has anyone? I haven't used the IDEA debugger before for other languages, and it's been forever since I tried the one in CF Builder, so it's almost certainly some fundamental concept I'm missing.

In Settings > ColdFusion, I've set Debugger Port to match the setting in CF Admin ( the default), and set User Name (because IDEA gave me a "bad user name" error when I tried to launch it, even though none is set in CF Admin).

In Run > Debug Configuration, I've created a config based on the ColdFusion default, and set the Web Path to the root directory of the app I want to debug (even though the UI refers to that as relating to deployment, which I'm not doing).

After that setup, I chose Run > Debug, and chose the CF configuration I created. The Debug UI appeared, and says it's connected.

I set a breakpoint in the code I wanted to debug, and from the app's web UI (an html file), caused it to send an ajax request that runs the code with my breakpoint. Nothing debugger-like happened, far as I can see. The request completed normally.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and hugely much to JetBrains for working on this.

Dave Merrill

Fedor Korotkov

Nov 18, 2012, 12:48:50 PM11/18/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

You should add -DDEBUGGER_SERVER_PORT=<<port>> JVM option at CF Admin -> Server Settings -> Java and JVM to specify the port.

Best,
Fedor

Dave Merrill

Nov 18, 2012, 1:05:23 PM11/18/12
to cfml-plugin-fo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Fedor, I'll try that.

So the cfadmin setting doesn't work for IDEA then? Are the other steps I've done right and sufficient?

Thanks again,
Dave