Proposal of request of COSP diagnostics for CMIP6/DECK experiments

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro

Jul 2, 2014, 6:41:05 AM7/2/14
to cosp...@googlegroups.com, cfmip...@googlegroups.com
Dear COSP/CFMIP community,

Please find attached a proposal of COSP diagnostics for CMIP6/DECK experiments. This is the outcome of initial discussions by the COSP Project Management Committee (PMC), and it is now open for comments. I will present these changes next week at the CFMIP/EUCLIPSE meeting.

Please feed back directly to me or via the COSP users list. Those attending the meeting will also be able to provide feedback during the discussion on Friday afternoon next week. The final document will be channelled to the CMIP panel (by September 2014) through the CFMIP committee.

Regards,

Alejandro on behalf of the COSP PMC

Dr Alejandro Bodas-Salcedo Earth Observation Research Scientist
Met Office Hadley Centre
FitzRoy Rd Exeter EX1 3PB United Kingdom
E-mail: alejand...@metoffice.gov.uk http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

See our guide to climate change at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change
COSPdiagnosticsCMIP_proposal20140702.doc
CMIP6_CFMIP3_output_20140702.xls

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro

Aug 4, 2014, 4:27:21 AM8/4/14
to cosp...@googlegroups.com, cfmip...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Pleae see attached the latest revision of these documents.

Regards,

Alejandro
> --

COSPdiagnosticsCMIP_proposal20140804.doc
CMIP6_CFMIP3_output_20140804.xls

Mark Webb

Aug 4, 2014, 4:43:29 PM8/4/14
to cfmip...@googlegroups.com, cosp...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Alejandro - thanks for this.

Are we ready to pass this over to the CFMIP committee?   If not, do we need a PMC meeting to discuss remaining issues?

Best wishes,
Mark

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cfmip-user" group.

Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro

Aug 5, 2014, 4:00:48 AM8/5/14
to cfmip...@googlegroups.com, cosp...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,

I don't expect more changes, so I think this document is ready to be passed to the CFMIP committee.

Regards,

Alejandro

Aug 5, 2014, 4:55:15 PM8/5/14
to cfmip...@googlegroups.com, cfmip...@googlegroups.com, cosp...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

Would you be prepared to send this on the the CFMIP committee?  Or I can do it if you prefer.

Mark

Sent from Mailbox

klein21

Aug 7, 2014, 11:01:10 AM8/7/14
to cfmip...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to invite again your comments on the proposal of COSP diagnostics for the CMIP6/DECK experiments. So far, we have had very limited feedback from those in the CFMIP and COSP communities outside of those managing the development of COSP (the PMC). This is a very good opportunity to influence the CMIP6 data requests from COSP. I think that the PMC wants to be sure that something important has not been missed. If you have a comment, please respond within the next week or so.

Regards,

Steve

Klein, Stephen A.

Aug 18, 2014, 7:13:31 PM8/18/14
to cosp...@googlegroups.com, cfmip...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dan,

Thanks for mentioning this. I think we are a few steps away from being able to consider this for COSP diagnostics from the CMIP6/DECK experiments. That said, COSP and their recommendations for CMIP/CFMIP mutli-model inter-comparison projects is open to simulator-based comparisons to new observations if they can pass several criteria including: (a) value for model assessment or climate change diagnosis of clouds or related processes, (b) demonstrated interest from the community (e.g., interested individuals from multiple climate modeling groups, multiple publications), (c) computational efficiency of associated simulator measured in terms of how much it slows down the typical multi-decade climate model simulation, and (d) individuals who will implement and maintain the code of the associated simulated in COSP in accord with the policies of COSP.  If you think that this would be pursuing for AIRS and/or SCIAMACHY, then I encourage you to take the necessary steps to address the criteria and make further direct contact to the COSP program management committee (cosp...@googlegroup.com) in general, or me in particular.

Best,

Steve

From: Daniel Feldman <drfe...@lbl.gov>
Date: Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
To: "cosp...@googlegroups.com" <cosp...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "cfmip...@googlegroups.com" <cfmip...@googlegroups.com>

Dear Steve and the COSP community,

I am looking forward to using the COSP diagnostics in CMIP6. I am wondering if there is any appetite to consider data from hyperspectral measurements such as AIRS radiances and/or SCIAMACHY reflectances.  Both of these measurements provide many opportunities to understand the factors that contribute to OLR and albedo, but of course the simulator and associated computational expense would be non-trivial.

Cheers,
Dan

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Stephen Klein <kle...@llnl.gov> wrote:
Hello,

I would like to invite again your comments on the proposal of COSP diagnostics for the CMIP6/DECK experiments. So far, we have had very limited feedback from those in the CFMIP and COSP communities outside of those managing the development of COSP (the PMC). This is a very good opportunity to influence the CMIP6 data requests from COSP. I think that the PMC wants to be sure that something important has not been missed. Even a response of "It looks good to me" would be welcome.

Regards,

Steve

Daniel Feldman, Ph.D.

Geological Project Scientist