CFEclipse and Eclipse Oxygen (4.7)

Joe Hummer

Jul 10, 2017, 7:13:35 PM7/10/17
to CFEclipse Users
I have tried multiple times with the same results. When I try to edit some .cfm files with CFEclipse using Eclipse Oxygen (4.7), I get a message saying the editor could not be initialized, and it won't open the file. When this happens, I then can never close Eclipse because it gets hung on saving the workspace. It just locks up. I have to "End Task" Eclipse.

I thought that maybe Java components were causing the problem, so I commented them out. But that didn't help. I don't know why some .cfms work and some don't. I do not have this problem with CFEclipse/Eclipse Neon 3 (4.6.3).

Is someone working on updating CFEclipse? I am using 1.5.2

Thank you,

Joe Hummer

Andrew Myers

Jul 10, 2017, 7:49:37 PM7/10/17
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

I was on Neon but I just installed to a clean version of Oxygen and it
seems okay.

Have you tried it with a new workspace, just in case there's something
specific to your workspace that is causing this issue?

What platform are you on (Windows, Mac, Other?)

Andrew.
> --
> --
> For more information on CFEclipse visit: cfeclipse.org
> For support, FAQ and tips and tricks visit: https://github.com/cfeclipse/cfeclipse/wiki
>
> You are subscribed to the Google Groups "CFEclipse Users" group.
> To post send email to: cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CFEclipse Users" group.

Joe Hummer

Jul 10, 2017, 11:55:20 PM7/10/17
to CFEclipse Users
Andrew,

I have installed Oxygen about six times hoping I was just doing something wrong.
I did it on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. That's six different workspaces. I installed the
Coldfusion Builder plugin to Oxygen and it worked fine. But I do not like the
Coldfusion Builder plugin (not to mention it's not free). With CFEclipse, I'm
consistently getting the initialization error with the cfm file that works fine with the
CFB plugin. I'm baffled.

Joe

Andrew Myers

Jul 11, 2017, 12:33:59 AM7/11/17
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear it's not working - it looks like you've tried everything you can.

The only other suggestion I have is to log an issue at
https://github.com/cfeclipse/cfeclipse/issues. If it's specific to a
single file you may need to try and attach a file that can reproduce
the issue.

As per your earlier question as to whether someone is updating
CFEclipse. As far as I am aware Denny is the only one who has done
anything recently and the last commit was 7 months ago, so sadly I'd
have to say there's not much happening. In particular I doubt
anything specific has been done for Oxygen. So if it was working on
Neon your are probably best to go back to that in the meantime.

Andrew.

Andrew

Jul 11, 2017, 3:02:25 AM7/11/17
to CFEclipse Users
Kind of related, but I do this without making any promises it'll ever get off the ground.

Not long ago I came across the tm4e (Textmate Grammars for Eclipse) project which is an Eclipse project that aims to make Textmate Grammars work inside eclipse.  It's still pretty raw, but I have been able to import the VSCode CFML Grammar and have built a little plugin with it.   This is actually what I'm using daily for my CF development at the moment.  It does syntax highlighting *only* at this stage.  There's no code completion, formatting, or anything else.

My plan was/is to investigate bringing over the code completion stuff next, and if that ever amounts to anything perhaps look at whether it could be a way to get things rolling again (I'd really like to get to a code base I can understand and then perhaps help some others get in amongst it too).

But this is a really slow moving thing, and I don't make any promises it'll ever go anywhere.  Anyway -  if what I've done is of any interest, I'm happy to share it for you or anyone else to have a look at.  Let me know.

Joe Hummer

Jul 11, 2017, 10:29:52 AM7/11/17
to CFEclipse Users
Andrew,

I appreciate your responses. I think I will take you up on logging an issue.
Like you said, I can attach the file giving me the grief. In the meantime,
I have moved back to Neon.

Thanks again,
Joe

Joe Hummer

Jul 11, 2017, 11:50:38 AM7/11/17
to CFEclipse Users
Sounds interesting. But still in its infancy. If you got the code completion stuff figured out, I'd definitely be interested.