CFMLEdit, Eclipse, Intellij IDEA, more...

Raffaele Castagno

Mar 1, 2012, 5:18:58 AM3/1/12
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Disclaimer: I don't know much about how plugins are written, structured and works.

Said that...

Given the efforts on splitting CFEclipse in various sub-modules, does it makes any sense to
make those submodules "IDE-agnostic", allowing the implementation of IDE specific plugins
possible using the same base set of libraries?

I think that CFML/CFScript parsing, for example, can be wrapped as needed by any IDE-specific plugin.

I was wandering this because I'm an IntelliJ IDEA user and don't like Eclipse very much, but the official CFML plugin is specific for
the Ultimate Edition, and it's anyway pretty old (2 years or so), and it would be nice to have a community supported
plugin.

More, it would probably attract more developers to this project.

Just my 2 cents.

Raffaele

Andrew Myers

Jun 6, 2012, 9:39:20 PM6/6/12
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for such a long time to reply.

This does sound cool, and I think to a point it's what Denny and Mark have been talking about using the antlr parsing as a base library that can be used in multiple spots.

I tried to pick up on the antlr stuff myself, but it's beyond my capabilities (I'd like to think if I had the book, and time I'd be able to get my head around it, but I am not sure....)

I started playing with using antlr in Netbeans and got the basic syntax highlighting working there.  But I think really it'd be good to get CFEclipse development back active again first, and maybe from there we can branch out into new horizons.

Is a "hackathon" a good idea?  I jumped in all keen a while ago, but I ran out of time / motivation, however I do think I'd like to get back into it but probably just need a bit of a nudge in the right direction.  With the CFEdit project starting up too, I am not sure where to direct my efforts.

Anyone keen??

Andrew.

Mark Mandel

Jun 6, 2012, 9:46:20 PM6/6/12
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Just re-read this for the first time.

There have been updates to the CFML plugin in the last 3 months or so, easy.

Here are the release notes for the 11.1.2 release in may, and there are multiple CFML editor enhancements.

So not sure what makes you think it hasn't been updated in 2 years - but I swear, it has!

Mark

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Raffaele Castagno <raffaele...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was wandering this because I'm an IntelliJ IDEA user and don't like Eclipse very much, but the official CFML plugin is specific for
the Ultimate Edition, and it's anyway pretty old (2 years or so), and it would be nice to have a community supported
plugin.

Andrew Myers

Jun 6, 2012, 10:00:17 PM6/6/12
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
For sure.  I am using IJ some (a majority perhaps?) of the time now, and on the mailing list and there's quite a bit of activity and input from the developer.

Personally, I am rather attached to Eclipse, but there's some things about CFBuilder and CFEclipse that piss me off no end.  Mostly around auto-insertion of quotes, parens and closing tags.

IJ is the only one of the 3 that really does it how I like it (it auto-inserts but is smart enough to know when to type over them).  If I could figure out how to modify this in CFE for a start I'd be a lot happier with it...