Application Wizard

David Polehonski

Jun 23, 2013, 6:11:13 PM6/23/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
I have been using CF Eclipse for a while, and been a CFML Developer for little over 2 years. I have decided that I wish to give something back to the community. For my first undertaking I desire to add a new project wizard that would auto generate an application.cfc file for a new (or existing) project. My initial idea is to use xml definition files that will outline templates of the different options for an application cfc dependent upon server version etc... plus the option to define it in script or tag syntax. But before I endeavour on this task I would like a little community input and ideas on how best to proceed.

I have noticed there is a CFC generator already and was wondering if anyone would mind / think it a good idea to adapt / leverage it as a jumping off point for this project? I look forward to the input.

David Polehonski

Jul 9, 2013, 11:57:03 AM7/9/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
... Is this group dead?

Mark Drew

Jul 9, 2013, 12:09:01 PM7/9/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com

Not dead, just sleepy.

--
Regards
Mark Drew

On 9 July 2013 at 16:57:05, David Polehonski (dpole...@googlemail.com) wrote:

... Is this group dead?

David Polehonski

Jul 10, 2013, 4:16:55 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of waking it up?

Andrew Myers

Jul 10, 2013, 5:03:55 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
*zzzzzz*

A bucket of cold water maybe?

On 10/07/2013, at 6:16 PM, David Polehonski <dpole...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Any chance of waking it up?

Mark Drew

Jul 10, 2013, 5:05:15 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com

Hah, Maybe, I mean, I am still here, just have been busy on other projects. With regards to the the Application.cfc Wizard, that would be awesome. Since I always want one :)

--
Regards
Mark Drew

Andrew Myers

Jul 10, 2013, 5:08:46 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
I got the shits a bit with eclipse and I've been tinkering with CFML in Adobe brackets.  But it's still very raw.  And some other smarter bloke has also come up with cfbrackets so maybe I'm wasting my time.

I dunno...!

David Polehonski

Jul 10, 2013, 5:09:16 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Good, do you know much about the current CFC generator and whether it's worth using it as a jumping off point? My Current design it to use the wizard pages to generate an internal XML definition for the cfc to be generated, and them write the CFC in script or tags depending on which option has been selected. I am new to the project so I don't know if i'd be treading on any toes with this design or not.. But the design is as such that the xml could define any CFC but the wizard would give only application.cfc specific options.

Mark Drew

Jul 10, 2013, 5:10:24 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com

I use Sublime Text a lot + TextMate + CFEclipse, Brackets is still raw and I think aimed at a different market, and still very new (marketed too early maybe?)

--
Regards
Mark Drew

Andrew Myers

Jul 10, 2013, 5:28:22 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Yeah brackets is pretty raw.  The file / project management is poor and there's no integration with source control I know of.

Sean Corfield got me into emacs, and well...it's actually ok, but obviously not everyone's cup of tea.

I hacked on CFEclipse for a bit but I did find the code base hard to come to grips with.  That's not a criticism either - I'm just saying it's very complex and my brain not so much ;-)

Mark Drew

Jul 10, 2013, 5:49:54 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, the codebase is a bit of a behemoth. Although it would be great to get some unit tests in there and do some refactoring, that looks actually hard in Eclipse (I have no idea how THEY do it!)

--
Regards
Mark Drew

Andrew Myers

Jul 10, 2013, 6:09:33 AM7/10/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that'd be awesome I agree!

Sent from my iPod

Jesse Shaffer

Aug 1, 2013, 9:13:20 PM8/1/13
to cfecli...@googlegroups.com
I recently hacked on the CFC generation code to add some extra configs.  I think that it is a decent jumping off point.

If you have not yet looked into it, the CFC generator works by wizards populating a model object with all the configuration data.  Then that model is passed to a generator class which does the work of writing out the CFC based on that model.

I had actually been considering the possibility trying to hash out some form of new project wizard that would allow you to define not just a template for the Application.cfc, but for an entire folder structure (think a new CFML project based on a FW/1 template for instance).