Welcome

Dan Vega

May 10, 2010, 1:46:44 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
I just wanted to get the discussion started with what I hope to see
from the group. While the name of the group is ColdFusion Builder
extensions development I don't think we will limit it just to that. If
you have an extension you want to tell others about I don't see any
problem with posting it here. Doing that may even get a "Hey that
feature was cool, how did you do that" type of question. I also think
if we get enough getting started questions from this we may be able to
build a getting started guide. With that I want to start off with some
getting started resources that I find helpful. Please feel to post
your thoughts and links to other resources.

ColdFusion Builder Docs
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/index.html

ColdFusion Builder Docs / Extensions
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WSf01dbd23413dda0ea6b27fe1213a53315f-8000.html

ColdFusion Builder Extensions on RIAForge
http://www.riaforge.org/index.cfm?event=page.category&id=14

Building extensions for Adobe ColdFusion Builder by Simon Free
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/cfbuilder_extensions.html

Dan Vega

May 10, 2010, 1:47:51 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
Shameless plug - My latest ColdFusion Builder Extension

Pastebin Extension
http://pastebin.riaforge.org/

And the review by Ray Camden
http://www.coldfusionjedi.com/index.cfm/2010/5/5/CFBuilder-Contest-Pastebin

On May 10, 1:46 pm, Dan Vega <danv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to get the discussion started with what I hope to see
> from the group. While the name of the group is ColdFusion Builder
> extensions development I don't think we will limit it just to that. If
> you have an extension you want to tell others about I don't see any
> problem with posting it here. Doing that may even get a "Hey that
> feature was cool, how did you do that" type of question. I also think
> if we get enough getting started questions from this we may be able to
> build a getting started guide. With that I want to start off with some
> getting started resources that I find helpful. Please feel to post
> your thoughts and links to other resources.
>
> ColdFusion Builder Docshttp://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/index.html
>
> ColdFusion Builder Docs / Extensionshttp://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WSf01dbd23413dda0...
>
> ColdFusion Builder Extensions on RIAForgehttp://www.riaforge.org/index.cfm?event=page.category&id=14
>
> Building extensions for Adobe ColdFusion Builder by Simon Freehttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/cfbuilder_extensions....

Dave Ferguson

May 10, 2010, 2:00:21 PM5/10/10
to cfb-exten...@googlegroups.com
For me, I think the ins and outs of how to create extensions is a big
mystery. The docs are hit and miss and generally incomplete. I had
to comb examples to figure out how to load jquery into an extension.
Then trying to create the menus themselves was a challenge.

I blogged about how add filters to actions. Something the docs
mentioned but failed on how to actually do it.

ColdFusion Builder Extensions - Creating Menu Filters
http://blog.dkferguson.com/index.cfm/2010/5/4/ColdFusion-Builder-Extensions--Creating-Menu-Filters

====================
= Dave Ferguson
====================
= http://blog.dkferguson.com
= http://www.cfhour.com
= Adobe Community Professional
====================

Justin Carter

May 10, 2010, 3:33:48 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
Good job on getting the mailing list going Dan :)

My first run at an extension was for Ray's competition as well (yet to
be reviewed). I think the most obvious thing that would benefit the
community at large, which Ray touched on in the review of your
extension Dan, is a common CFC for reading and responding to the CF
Builder IDE events. Once all the events are covered and documented in
a common API then it'll make it much easier for new extension
developers to jump right in.

That would definitely solve the docs "hit and miss" problem that we've
each come up against so far.

cheers,
Justin

On May 10, 6:46 pm, Dan Vega <danv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to get the discussion started with what I hope to see
> from the group. While the name of the group is ColdFusion Builder
> extensions development I don't think we will limit it just to that. If
> you have an extension you want to tell others about I don't see any
> problem with posting it here. Doing that may even get a "Hey that
> feature was cool, how did you do that" type of question. I also think
> if we get enough getting started questions from this we may be able to
> build a getting started guide. With that I want to start off with some
> getting started resources that I find helpful. Please feel to post
> your thoughts and links to other resources.
>
> ColdFusion Builder Docshttp://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/index.html
>
> ColdFusion Builder Docs / Extensionshttp://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WSf01dbd23413dda0...
>
> ColdFusion Builder Extensions on RIAForgehttp://www.riaforge.org/index.cfm?event=page.category&id=14
>
> Building extensions for Adobe ColdFusion Builder by Simon Freehttp://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/cfbuilder_extensions....

Dan Vega

May 10, 2010, 3:46:00 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
Have you looked at my parser package in my pastebin extension? I might
try and update that and put that out there.

Dan Vega

May 10, 2010, 4:20:16 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
I take that back, I don't like how those are written. I am going to
rewrite those soon.

Justin Carter

May 10, 2010, 5:08:53 PM5/10/10
to cfb-extensions-dev
I saw that Ray mentioned it but didn't have a chance to scan the code
at the time, I was reading the entry on my iPod Touch :P

It looks like you've got a bunch of event types covered though, the
main addition would be helpers to build the XML response(s) that go
back to the IDE. The extension I built only deals with text
selection / replacement so it's not particularly useful, but I started
along a similar track (from what I can remember, haven't looked at the
code for a couple of weeks!).

It'll be interesting to see how other entries and existing extensions
have handled it so far. Perhaps almost all the pieces we need are out
there in the wild, we just haven't looked hard enough yet :)

cheers,
Justin