How to learn about IIS 10?

Mike K

Jan 20, 2016, 5:41:28 PM1/20/16
to cfaussie
Clearly I dont know anywhere near enough about IIs.  Can anyone recommend a good way to learn about it?

I've looked at the usual places I learn things - Lynda.com,  TutsPlus.com,   google for tutorials and learn,  and there isnt much available.

Even Microsoft's own sites dont have much.   Almost everything that's there is about IIs7 or IIs8,  but the one with Windows 10 is IIs10, as far as I can tell  (but it's hard to tell because I dont think anything actually says in the 'about' tab.

And after the  frustration of the last week, it's pretty clear that Microsoft themselves haven't got a clue about it or arent telling.    I wasted 8 days trying to talk to someone from there about how to make my IIS work.   And didnt succeed.

Anyone have any good ideas where I can learn enough about IIs10 to be self-sufficient on most routine things?

--
Cheers
Mike Kear

Charlie Arehart

Jan 21, 2016, 5:29:46 PM1/21/16
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

Mike, you’re in luck (finding resources for learning more about IIS). I have something to share which is I hope just what you may have been looking for.

1) First, let me clarify that as far as your not finding much on IIS 10, I’d not worry about that myself. I find that there’s virtually no change in it form 8, and there was really hardly any change in that from 7.

2) So when you are expressing the desire to become more versed in it, as a newcomer to it, or even for those reading along who are experienced, I can’t recommend enough a wonderful set of 50 brief, practical IIS videos that were put together by IIS guru Scott Forsyth. They are about 10-20 mins each, but all really, really relevant and useful (not a boring repetition of the docs, as some resources can be).

And while they are from the IIS 7 timeframe, they are still relevant for the reason I state above. I blogged about them just last week, and I offer the topic titles and links to them:

Great set of substantial, practical, but brief videos on IIS
http://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2016/1/16/50_video_iis_series

Let me know if they look or prove helpful for you.

/charlie

Mike K

Jan 21, 2016, 11:38:56 PM1/21/16
to cfaussie
You are right, Charlie,  I AM in luck!!   That's EXACTLY what i was hunting for.

Once again you have proved to be the goldmine of help and resource you have been for years.

Thank you.   Thank you.   Thank you.

--
Cheers
Mike Kear

Peter Tilbrook

Jan 22, 2016, 3:13:52 AM1/22/16
to cfau...@googlegroups.com
Ditto!

==
Peter Tilbrook
Professional Adobe ColdFusion 11 Application Development
Managing Director, ColdGen Internet Solutions
Web Administrator, The Club Group Pty Ltd
PO Box 2247
Queanbeyan, NSW, 2620
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-2-6104-9981
Mob: +61-0478-623-579

Email Address: peter.t...@coldgen.com
WWW: http://www.coldgen.com/

Charlie Arehart

Jan 22, 2016, 9:45:15 AM1/22/16
to cfau...@googlegroups.com

And it’s thanks like that (and Peter’s) which make it all worthwhile. :-) Glad to have helped. (And it is quite an interesting providence that I found that just last week, days before you would ask for it!)

Hope others will check them out, too. Some really very useful topics in there. I’m inspired and hoping to do the same sort of thing at some point on certain CF topics.

/charlie