Values for the Time Dependent Heat Release Rate Graph

Aaron King

Jan 27, 2023, 11:51:19 AM1/27/23
to CFAST
I do not know the proper values for the Heat Release Rate (kW) over time. Is there a good reference for these values? Or is there a good assumption that I could make? Or is there an equation that I can use?

I am trying to see if the CFAST software matches our real world fire scenario. In one of our real world fire scenarios we are burning 15lbs of yellow pine 2x4s in an vented shelter.

Kevin McGrattan

Jan 27, 2023, 1:53:07 PM1/27/23
to cf...@googlegroups.com
Suppose you take those two-by-fours and bundle them tightly together. Or suppose you take them and build a truss. Do you think they will burn at the same rate? Knowing the weight of the fuel is not helpful. The configuration matters. Try the SFPE Handbook chapter on Burning Rates for some discussion of this.