Increased HGL temperatures between Version 7.3.1 and 7.4.3

Burkhard

Aug 2, 2022, 5:44:51 PM8/2/22
to CFAST
Hello,

I use CFAST over a long time and from time to time repeat certain simulations like the reproduction of the standard fire curve in the UL of a given compartment.

I realized that between CFAST Versions 7.3.1 and 7.4.3 the HRR to reproduce the standard fire curve decreased by about more than 20%.
In other words, with the same HRR the compartment temperature significantly increased between Version 7.3.1 and 7.4.3.
In the release notes I could only find information on bugs regarding the target temperature calculation, not about the calculation of the ULT.

Could it be that anything was changed that impacted the ULT?

Kind Regards
Burkhard

Kevin McGrattan

Aug 2, 2022, 5:58:14 PM8/2/22
to cf...@googlegroups.com
Can you post the input file? We'll have to do a bisect on the versions.

Richard Peacock

Aug 3, 2022, 9:30:50 AM8/3/22
to CFAST
Between 7.3.1 and 7.4.3, there were fixes for vent opening and closing and secondary fire ignition, but nothing that should intrinsically change the ULT.  V&V results didn't show significant changes in ULT.

We'll need to look with your input file.

Burkhard Forell

Aug 5, 2022, 7:44:27 PM8/5/22
to cf...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard and Kevin,

thank you for your feedback!

I am sorry, I found out that I was wrong with my first e-mail.

Instead, the significant temperature jump already happened between v 7.2.1 and 7.2.2.
I attach one input file and two output files from v 7.2.1 and  v 7.2.2.

Probably you are already aware of that change (It took me a little bit longer).

Kind Regards
Burkhard

2400m2_1a_F1.in
721_2400m2_1a_F1_n.xlsx