Validation case

fde

Dec 9, 2022, 7:42:14 AM12/9/22
to CFAST
Hi,

I was looking for the largest compartment tests that are validated in CFAST and I saw that the maximum ceiling height is 22 m.

In this paper there is an experiment with 27 m (PolyU/USTC Atrium) height: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379711220300643#bib24

I thought that it would be a good addition to the validation list.

Thanks for your consideration,

Regards

Kevin McGrattan

Dec 9, 2022, 2:58:20 PM12/9/22
to CFAST
Do you know if the experimental data is available?

dr_jfloyd

Dec 12, 2022, 2:51:02 PM12/12/22
to CFAST
The data looks odd for the experiment based on the description given in the original reference. It is supposedly a 1.6 MW fire in an atrium with no openings other than some 0.2 m high vents at the bottom.  The data in Figure 9 shows the temperature in the atrium rising 20 K and then staying steady after ~200 s.  In the origingal referenced paper for the test the fire was supposedly still burning at this point in time and the layer at 200 s was ~5 m above the floor z (above the vents).  The atrium is 12 m x 22 m x 27 m. This makes the wall and ceiling area above the layer ~1800 m2. For steady-state to be achieved with a temperature rise of 20 C all the heat from the fire must be leaving the layer through the walls.  At a 20 C temperature rise this would need a heat transfer coefficient of 1,600,000 W / (1800 m2 * 20 K) = 44 W/m/K. This a pretty large average h for a layer.

fde

Dec 15, 2022, 10:11:50 AM12/15/22
to CFAST
Unfortunately I am not aware. I have not contacted the author.

fde

Dec 15, 2022, 10:24:34 AM12/15/22
to CFAST

Based on your remarks, I understand that the results need deeper review. Thank you for your response.