GSoC 2012

Chetan

Feb 26, 2012, 4:53:30 AM2/26/12
to Code for America Labs
Hi,

I am Chetan Bansal, a 4th year undergraduate student at BITS Pilani
University, India. I wish to apply to Code for America for the Google
Summer of Code.

I have successfully participated in GSoC twice earlier, in 2009 and
2010, working with the GenMapp (Wikipathways) group. In 2009, I worked
on a plugin for adding Ontology tagging and browsing functionality to
Wikipathways. In 2010, I had built an application for browsing
relations between the pathways on Wikipathways.

Last summer, I worked as a Research Intern at Microsoft Research INRIA
Lab, Paris. I worked on the formal verification of the OAuth Protocol
and security analysis of various websites for detecting Social CSRF
attacks. We found some very critical issues which were appreciated by
Facebook & Yahoo. We have submitted a paper regarding the same to the
CSF '12 Conference, Harvard. Very recently, I worked on analysis of
social networks like Facebook and Twitter to find correlations between
geographic locations and usage. I also developed a small application
which finds the Social map of the Facebook users based on their
interactions. This was an informal/remote project with a research
group at Max Planck Institute of Software Systems, Germany.
Also, I was one of few the attendees from India at the Kairos Global
Summit, New York, held a few weeks back. I have developed several web
applications for various startups and companies which included end to
end work (Backend+Frontend+Db design).

I am aware that the final list of Orgs will be out only by mid March.
I will really appreciate if you can point me to the list of ideas for
2012.

Regards,
Chetan

Avinash

Mar 5, 2012, 5:58:58 AM3/5/12
to Code for America Labs
Hey Myslef Avinash Jain pursuing B.Tech from IIIT-Hyderbad. I am new
to GSOC. Can u provide me some initial step i should to enhance my
chance. I want to know how to start communicating with mentors. How to
start doing some demo project so as to get familiar with the skills
needed for a particular organization. As you have successfully done
Gsoc twice you must know how to enhance chance of getting selected.

Please provide me these basic information. I have sent number of
emails for these basic information but didn't get any satisfactory
reply. Any kind of help is welcome.

Thanx in advance
Avinash

On Feb 26, 2:53 pm, Chetan <chet...@gmail.com> wrote