RHoK 3 in Philly

Mark Headd

May 16, 2011, 9:02:09 AM5/16/11
to cfa-...@googlegroups.com

Thought this might interest the folks on this list.

Cheers,

Mark

Random Hacks of Kindness Philadelphia!

WHO: Designers, programmers, geeks, hackers, activists, problem solvers and concerned citizens!

WHAT: A FREE hackathon* to create software solutions to global human challenges.

WHERE: 3175 JFK Blvd, Drexel University, Philadelphia

WHEN: June 4th and 5th, 2011 starting at 9am. (Reception on June 3rd TBA)

HOW: Register at http://rhokphiladelphia.eventbrite.com

RHoK is an event and competition to create immediately applicable solutions to real world problems. By gathering the brightest hackers and problem-solvers from around the world, RHoK aims to use technology to tackle disaster relief, social development, climate change, and human rights. Here's your chance to volunteer your time and hack for humanity.

RHoK Philly begins at 9am on Saturday, June 4th . Show up with a team of 2-4 hackers (or join a team here!) Pick one of the dozens of available social impact problem-definitions and see what you can make by Sunday afternoon. The best project will be featured around the globe. Space is limited so be sure to pre-register. If you have a global problem to suggest, get involved in the discussion on the RHoK site (http://www.rhok.org) and submit it!

There will also be a keynote talk by Roger Dingledine of the Tor Project (https://torproject.org). Plus other special guests!

This is a FREE event and open to the public. We will provide food, prizes, Internet, power, and logistics. Just bring your laptop!

* The focus is on software but we need participants with a range of skills, not just programmers! We need both techies and non-technical individuals who understand these local and global challenges.

RHoK Philadelphia is sponsored by Drexel University, Technically Philly, Drexel Women in Computer Science Society, Drexel Math and Computer Science Society, and Grindcore House.

Chach Sikes

May 16, 2011, 10:37:59 AM5/16/11
to cfa-...@googlegroups.com, cfa-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!

And! There is a Rhok in Seattle at the same time...

Also, code for Oakland is happening that weekend..

If anyone is interested in helping organize events and activities and projects, drop me a line. I plan to be heavily involved & want co-conspirators.

- Chach

From my phone...

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cfa-labs?hl=en